Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Garbage Disposal with Septic tank?
Author: Anonymous User

I have had someone tell me that I should not install a garbage disposal in my new house because we are in the country and are using a septic tank. They said that a garbage disposal is tough on the septic system.

What are your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

wmoore

Re: Garbage Disposal with Septic tank?
Author: Scott D. Plumber (VA)

I think you can, but plan to pump it out more frequently.

You don't want the food matter to get into the drain feild because it breaks down a lot slower if at all for some of it and will mess stuff up.

Best bet is use your trash can.

Author: hj (AZ)

In this area every house has a garbage disposer, and a whole lot of them have septic tanks, including mine. My previous house went 15 years before needing pumping, so I would not say that it always requires more freqent servicing.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Ask your neighbors if they have experience with problems.
Every application is different and it really depends on what exactly you are going to put into the disposal system. Processed foods will break down better than soap/detergent.
The system of your system must also be considered.
Good Luck in whatever YOU choose to do.

Author: Deb (ID)

Garbage disposers are tough on any sewage system, private or public--uneaten food does not biodegrade well. When on public sewer, you just don't have to worry about the consequences. Municipalities spend millions and millions to remove food particles (and other foreign objects that don't belong there either) from sewage water.
Garbage disposers are NOT garbage cans and should not be used as such.
Deb
The Pipewench

Author: westchester plumber

Some municipalities here prohibit the use of garbage diposer units.

It seems like most of the troubles with them are misuse by the owner, some people think it's a garbage can.

More than half of our KS clogs have diposers. When invoicing clients for snaking a clogged drain with a disposer, we mail them a print-out of the do's and don'ts. One would think they would know.

Good Luck. *westchester plumber*

Author: Anonymous User

What good is a garbage disposal? What can you send down and what is not supposed to go down them?

Thanks

Author: westchester plumber

According to a leading disposer manufacturer...

Do:

Grind food waste with a moderate flow of cold water.
Grind hard materials such as bones, fruit pits, etc. A scouring action is created by the particles inside the grind chamber.
Grind peelings from citrus fruits to freshen up drain smells.
Dispose of coffee grounds in your disposer whether or not you are on metropolitan sewer or septic tank.
Flush disposer for cleaning. Allow disposer and cold water to run after grinding or after draining sink of dish water. Some detergents are caustic; flushing will pass such material into the drain line without disposer damage.
Use a disposer cleaner, degreaser, or deodorizer as necessary.

Don't:

Use hot water when grinding food waste. It is OK to drain hot water into the disposer between grinding periods.
Turn off motor or water until grinding is completed.
Be alarmed if a brown discoloration appears on the face of the grinding disc. This is normal. It is surface discoloration only and will not affect the life or performance of the disposer.
Grind extremely fibrous material like corn husks, artichokes, etc. to avoid possible drain blockage.

Author: Gary Slusser

IMO, other than toilet paper, you shouldn't put anything down a septic system that hasn't gone through you.

Oil, grease and fat are the primary killers of a septic system. They are tough to impossible to 'digest' in a septic system and eventually clog the drain fields.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Author: Edmplumber (Non-US)

oil, grease and fat will sit on the top and is actually an important factor. Where I am it gets cold in the winter and acts as an insulator and it is important to keep these systems as warm as possible to help the bacterial action. I usually size my tanks bigger for homes with garbage disbosals. also don't do a whole bunch of washing machine loads back to back, it disturbs the systems. water softners do that too because they send lots of water into the tank at the same time

Author: BartenderSkip (MD)

I would suggest using an additive monthly to make sure that your bacterial counts are high and fully capable to digest the food that goes through the processor. This website carries a brand called roebic I believe, three others Im familiar with are ridx treatment [www.Rid-x.com] ntb septic tank treatment [www.newtechbio.com] and oasis treatments [oasisenviro.com] ...all sell similar products at varied costs and strengths. Make sure you avoid anything that excessivly kills off healthy bacteria in your tank like heavy doses of bleach and surfactants ...only use anti-bacterial soaps as needed.

good luck
Skip

Author: frajamir (KS)

Grease and Fats may liquefy and then solidify further down the water pipe which usually could clog up the drain. So you need to make sure that you run cold water while operating the garbage disposal because that will help you harden up greasy food waste in order for the garbage disposal to easily chop up the waste. And you need a great garbage disposal to help you with this. Visit these website to see a lot of great garbage disposal [www.bestgarbagedisposalreviews.com]

Edited 4 times.

Author: Samuel Garcia (Non-US)

I don't think a garbage disposal would harm your septic system. In fact, it can be an advantage to helping your septic tank function well. Maintain your Garbage Disposal septic tank system correctly and regularly, and your septic disposal will do its job right.

Thanks
Samuel
From [www.junketc.co.uk]

Edited 2 times.

Author: clarasmithh001 (Non-US)

Thanks for the tips and help.I think you made some good points in Features also.

[#$%&]

Author: matthewkevin (CT)

Garbage Disposal is a one of the best method in [@#$%&[www.dulsco.com]]Waste Management system[/url]. My suggestion is you must install this garbage disposal in your home.

Author: LucaWyatt (CA)

No, Take your own decision, ignore their suggestions, I recommend you to install a good garbage disposal. You can choose great one after reading this guide: [goodgarbagedisposal.com]
Let me share my own experience as well.
I have surveyed 3 brands so far; Teka (made in Germany), InsinkErator (US) and Kleengard(?).
Teka n Kleengard is about ~RM 1200 for 0.75hp. Kleengard is close to 2K. All has air switch though for Kleengard need to pay a little extra for that. And new models have reverse grinding...
One of the major concern is the loud noise it created during operation. Check from international forum, InsinkErator seems to be the lowest db.

For now, most likely am going for Teka due to it's German made and cost-wise.
Would love to have InsinkErator Evo though. It's body is stainless steel.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.