Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 696,600 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Log In
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 pressure relief valve
Author: Anonymous User

In my home, if the shower is running you will only get a trickle out of any other faucet. Pretty much, there is only enough pressure to run one thing at a time in this house. Where the city water supply comes into my home there is a pressure relief valve. Can I safley adjust this a little myself? Do I need some kind of guage to measure the psi to make sure I don't burst any pipes? Any advice is much appreciated.

Post Reply

 Re: pressure relief valve

First you need to measure your water pressure with a gauge and your water pressure should be 50 - 60 psi. Then determine if you have a pressure relief valve or a pressure reducing valve?

Next, post a new message and tell us what you have.

Post Reply

 Re: pressure relief valve
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Also it sounds like you are having volume
problem in addition to the pressure.
An inspection of your water pipe at a "union" just may reveal lime and scale forming on the insides of your piping which may explain the problem of volume.
You will still need to do the pressure gauge test mentioned by another.

Post Reply

 Re: pressure relief valve
Author: Deb (ID)

Check your water pressure before you do anything. This will tell you whether it is a pressure or a volume problem.
If this is in fact a pressure reducing valve, there should be a strainer somewhere prior to the device. Many PRVs have a strainer screen built into the device. I have seen a couple where the screen was completely clogged, stopping the water flow altogether.
The Pipewench

Post Reply

 Re: pressure relief valve
Author: Anonymous User

Can I get a gauge to measure the psi at Lowes? Anyway, I never thought of the volume issue. Thanks. How can I tell if it is a pressure relief or reducing valve? Here's a pic...


Post Reply

 Re: pressure relief valve
Author: Phil H

Reducing valve

Post Reply

 Re: pressure relief valve
Author: steve_g (CA)


That is a pressure reducing valve, and almost certainly the problem. It's got a little lime or calcium buildup on the union below. There is a strainer (as Deb mentioned) that can be cleaned, and the valve can be adjusted, but PRVs are a high-mortality item, and it may need to be replaced.

Lowe's may have a pressure gauge. It would attach to a hose bibb, shouldn't cost too much.

BTW, that wall looks like it could use a french drain behind it.

-Steve G

Post Reply

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:

Copyright© 2023 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.