Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PRV - died too young?
Author: Anonymous User

Howdy. I live in a condo, 8 units, and top/bottom pair share water line relationship. Both pipes run thru my (downstairs) closet wall. Our whole building fought the fog-horn and banging issue with pressure-reducing valve replacements all around in August 2001.

About 9 months later, banging started up again. I had the original plumbers come out and check the whole building. They couldn't "recreate" the noise. Since my PRV was still under warranty, they replaced it.

Less than 6 months later (less than 1&1/2 years from original installation), the machine-gun-fire noise is back in my wall. It started as an occasional noise maybe once a week but has increased now this week to spurts every 5-15 minutes.

Putting my hand inside the wall and on neighbor's pipe reveals her pipe to be the banging one. There isn't room to strap it but there's almost no play in it anyway. (Btw, when it bangs, pipe is often warm to the touch. Not sure how that's possible when her water heater is upstairs...)

Do PRVs die so soon? It's running ~$300 each to replace these things. What is the normal replacement cycle? Is there a top quality brand of PRV that should last longer? Should we both replace the PRVs to be certain we take care of the problem?

And, lastly, have we done any pipe damage by letting the banging go on so long?

Thanks.

PS. No other neighbor-pairs in the building hear banging.

Re: PRV - died too young?
Author: hj (AZ)

Maybe the banging is her toilet fill valve. That is the most common cause of that noise.

Author: Edward429451 (CO)

Watts 25AUB's are the good ones, but nothing's infallible and I have had the occasional bad one here and there over the years. Good luck.

Thanks. Two good suggestions. The banging can happen even if she's not home. Would the toilet fill valve be activated periodically even when the toilet is not in use? Also, the only peace and quiet I've had has been when she uses the big water shut-off handle and cuts off all the water to her apartment. Does that information help?

If her flapper in the toilet is seeping water out of the tank, the fill valve will come on very slowly to fill the tank. Some fill valves handle this ok, but I just had one a couple of weeks ago that howled and banged like crazy. Sounded like she had demons in her house. A $4 dollar flapper fixed her problem.

Well, we did the toilet test and the flapper is not leaking... and it's not the fill valve.

Neighbor's pipe is the one that bangs and shakes. She was gone all weekend and it would bang one day, almost every 2 minutes at times, while another day it didn't make a noise at all. Nobody was up there using any water or flushing the toilet during that time.

Our intention is to replace the PRVs on both pipes. My pipe isn't banging anymore after my PRV replacement at the 1 year mark (8/01). But if we got a bad batch at our mass-installation in Aug 2000 then I guess it's not too weird for hers to go now.

My big dilemma is whether to replace mine (at ~$300) if my pipe isn't banging. What if the one I have now works and the new one is busted?!

Any opinions on risk/reward here?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.