Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 poly tubing repair
Author: Anonymous User

The main line at my house uses 3/4" black poly tubing, 200PSI. I need have to replace a section. I am having problems keeping the replaced section from leaking at the joints. I am using an inline insert with clamp around the pipe. The clamp is as tight as I can get it but it still drips. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I be using some sort of glue/sealer between the connector and the tubing?

Re: poly tubing repair

Is the fitting plastic or glavanized? Do not use a plastic fitting in this situation. If you're using a galvanized fitting you should heat the inside and end of the pipe slightly with a torch to insure the fitting goes all the way in. Be very careful not to overheat and melt though. Also use two clamps.

Post Edited (05-25-03 12:07)

Author: Edward429451 (CO)

Sammy is exactly correct. Another thing I do is to coat the galvi fitting with pipedope the full length of the barb starting behind the tip before inserting into pipe. Two clamps.

Author: Deb (ID)

I use at least 160psi PE, brass insert fittings and marine stainless steel clamps. I heat the PE gently, insert the fitting, use 2 hose clamps tightened in opposite directions, torque to 60 ft/lbs...never leaks.
Deb
The Pipewench

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'm with Deb. I like to use brass insert fittings. They cost a little more but are worth it to me. I use two clamps turned opposite each other. Heat the inside of the pipe a little and use a torque wrench on the stainless clamps.

Aren't those torque wrenches 30 inch pounds? The same ones used for no-hub bands, the Seekonk's? I never seen em in any other poundage.

Everyone that I have seen or used was 60 lb release.
Deb
The Pipewench

Author: Gary Slusser

I really don't know the torque but I seriously doubt 60 ftlb. I have a tee handle wrench for hose clamps that prevents overtightening and from being able to tighten the clamps more fairly easily, the torque has to be in inch pounds.

Anyway, PE tubing manufacturers don't want heat from a flame, they state hot water should be used and the reason is that heat has to be applied equally. I've always used a torch myself but gently warm the inside and outside to slightly higher than 'body' temperature. I always use two opposed clamps that are not overtightened (or sprung) and absolutely NO dope etc.. I've never had a leak and I do quite a bit of this type 'work' on pumps.

Doi, just went and checked the Seekonk and Deb is right, it is 60 (inch pounds).

My bad. I coulda swore it was 30.

Whether these are actually 60 lbs release, that is what is on the package and the descriptions I have seen.
Deb
The Pipewench

question for deb?
Author: packy (MA)

deb, how in the world do you torque hose clamps to 60 ft/lbs? :>winking smiley i'm sure you meant in/lbs.. hope you had a restful holiday weekend. it rained all weekend in new england... packy...

Hi Deb, you probably know this but foot pounds and inch pounds are drastically different. Applying 60 *foot*lb to a clamp requiring 60 *inch*lb will definately cause a problem. And more than likely a leaking fitting due to a broken/stripped/sprung clamp.

Problem is Deb said foot pounds, not inch pounds. You were wrong on the 30 and she was wrong on the foot pounds. Common mistake.

Re: Thanks

To all those who responded. Thanks. I switched from plastic to brass nipples, heated the poly pipe with a heat gun, type used for removing paint, the pipe slid all the way up the nipple nice and easy. I then used two opposing clamps on each connection. No drips! Thanks again.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.