Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 how can select the right size of pipe?
Author: Ahmadzai (AK)

There have been frequent conversations about the sewer discharge lines going out of the first floor. Many ideas have been thrown out for consideration; however, we will move forward with 4” discharge line in each mechanical corridor that both the first and second feed into. we have 32 bathrooms which include Toilet drain, Sink drain and Tub drain. i do not know the 4'' pipe will be enough size. our designer mentioned i have calculation that work.
the length of pipe 50.
i will much appreciated your all response in this regards. quick response will be highly appreciated.

thanks

Re: how can select the right size of pipe?
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I'd think a main sewer pipe of 6" to 8" size would be needed for a building with that many bathrooms.

Thank you so much stuckinlodi,

Can you explain or provide a calculation.

Author: packy (MA)

[www.engineeringtoolbox.com]
[www.engineeringtoolbox.com]
at a glance..
4 inch pipe will carry 216 fixture units at 1/4 inch pitch.
1 bathroom group is cansidered 6 fixture units.
so..
32 x 6 = 192.
by my calculaton, 4 inch pipe will suffice..

Author: NoHub (MA)

Ahmadzai ,Your "Plumbing contractor" has calculation to do for a job this size.Please tell me your not attempting this yourself.

Author: packy (MA)

NoHub.. things are a wee bit different in AK than they are in MA..

4" seems too small but I defer to your experience. I thought even small 2 floor hotels used at least a 6" main sewer line. (not the branch lines, just the main one that everything connects to). I'm imagining 32 bathrooms getting used first thing in the morning with toilet solids and showering, that's a big volume.

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

IN a private install that is correct Packy, however in a PUBLIC installation it is rated 2+2+4 =8X32= 256 PLUS the laundry, kitchens, office baths,mop sinks and the other things that most 32 bath buildings require, 4" would carry the 32 bath groups however with the added load a 6" main would be required by UPC.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: steve_g (CA)

I think Packy's right since those bathrooms are not likely to be open to the public.

But up-sizing to at least 5" wouldn't be a bad idea. There has be something else going into it. If not now, then later.

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

32 baths means 32 apts or it could mean a 32 room hotel that has other fixtures dumping into it. first we need to know the use of the building even with a 32 apt building they are assumed to have at least one laundry facility per floor and the 4" will carry 216 FU and with private use the apts alone will carry 192 FU add almost anything and you need to up size. and in most places finding 5" pipe is like pulling hens teeth in PVC

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

thank you stuckinlodi, i also have the same concern

Edited 1 times.

NoHub, i have concern regarding the size of pipe and it look smaller to me.

Re: how can select the right size of pipe? thumbs

thank you so much from all of you.

for your information we constructing resident CHUs.

Edited 1 times.

Combat Housing Units for military?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.