Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hole too big around flue pipe
Author: Christine (Non-US)

I have recently had a combination boiler fitted to my new build house. It appears the circular hole cut through the bricks and mortar for the flue pipe was cut way too big. The circle is probably 2 to 3 inches bigger than the flue and I can see outdoors through it! Is this normal and acceptable or should I challenge the plumber about it? Is it his job to make it good and what is the correct way to do it?

Re: Hole too big around flue pipe
Author: packy (MA)

a thimble must be cemented into a tight hole in the chimney..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Probably not into a chimney packy. Anyway, it is the installers responsibility to vent the unit according to the I&O manual. In boiler manuals the venting section is the largest sections of the manuals. If not done correctly it is what can kill people.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Are you saying that rain, insects and other stuff can come inside the home due to the space around the flue?

Author: Christine (Non-US)

It's not the chimney. I have a combination boiler and its vented out through the front wall of my house downstairs. The oiler is in my kitchen and the flue is white plastic and goes through the wall construction to the outside but it was drilled too big.

Author: packy (MA)

OK, then it absolutely must be sealed 100% tight.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

If it is his intention to leave it that way, it would make me question every thing else that was done on the installation. The unit requires a pipe for combustion air and one for exhaust. Sometimes they use what is called a concentric vent, which is basically a pipe within a pipe. So, there would be a single penetration of the wall to the outside, with a special termination on the outside. His work should be impressive in it's neatness, and reflect the work of a craftsman. If everything looks nice and this is the only problem, give him the benefit of the doubt, and ask him to correct it. If all his work appears shoddy....it's not a good sign.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

There is usually a larger rubber collar that fits over the pipe that covers the opening around the hole, normally one inside and one outside.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Here's a couple of ways it is done. One photo is a wood stove but it is a similar idea:

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.