Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ball valve directionality
Author: sum (FL)

I was at a plumbing supply store the other day and bought a quarter turn ball valve. The guy behind the counter told me to make sure they are installed "the right way". He said ball valves must be installed so that the handle points in the direction of flow when on. I asked him to explain but he said that's always been that way.

I looked at the valve from each end and it looks symmetrical. I look at the handle and valve body and there is no marking or label on it indicating any directions.

I then walked around outside and in the garage and looked at all the ball valves I have and one of them is indeed installed in the "reverse" direction. For example, the main shutoff valve on the east side where the 3/4" comes up from the ground, that ball valve handle points DOWN (against the flow) but the other ones I have points up.

So, do ball valves have directions and if so, is it more like a habit or convention, or is it real problem when installed backwards?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Ball valve directionality
Author: hj (AZ)

It is HIS "perception" that it should be that way. I install ball valves which ever way it makes the handle easier to access it.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

If it really was important that ball valves be installed only one way they would put an "arrow" on the side indicating water flow direction.

Author: Phil Younie (CA)

" I asked him to explain but he said that's always been that way."

Maybe so for some kind of really cheap ball valve that he sells and that I've never heard of in these over 40 years of doing plumbing.

About 20 plus years ago I once did see some really crude made ball valves (from some Soviet Union country) where when they manufactured them they may have had to be directional because the body part that screws into the main body and that holds the ball in place seemed really crude and weak.

Best to ignore that novice "advice."

Look for arrows and if none than ignore.

For sure for 99.9% of ball valves designed for water it has NOT "always been that way."

Globe valves are directional.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes, but some are DESIGNED to 'back seat'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Not that it really matters, but I have always installed ball valves with the handle pointing in the direction of flow.

In an overhead horizontal 'rack' I install so that the handle pulls down to close.

otherwise, whatever is handy to operate

Author: hi (TX)

Pipe fitters in NYC have a local rule that the incoming water be piped to the cast side, leaving water on the side with the seam.

I believe for low pressure systems like household water supply it probably doesn't make a difference.

For high pressure systems I believe the NYC rule would apply

Indeed Apollo valves says they are bi-directional.
[www.apollovalves.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

Remember, you are talking about "pipe fitters". All they have to remember is that "payday is Friday, because they can pump their water uphill if it has to go that way".

play nice, hj

smiling smiley

Why are plumbers' brains soooooo expensive?

Do you know how many plumbers it TAKES to get a pound?

tongue sticking out smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.