Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Header Relocation
Author: toantle102013 (WI)

I have a need to move my existing water heater to make room for an area to be finished in my basement in my new home.
Can someone please help me to understand what option(s) I have, if I don't want to buy a new water heater?

The existing unit is a normal vent system. It is not a direct vent nor a Power vent system.

My understand is that you can only purchase the power vent that are made for the given model and make of the water heater. I currently don't have access to the water heater to know the model and make. Is this true?

Let's assume worst case scenarios where existing water heater model does not support direct vent or power vent. Is there a generic power vent kit/system that I can buy?

The new location where I would like to relocate the WH is about 15ft from the old location. It would be ideal if I can run the vent horizontally between the floor joins from the new location to the old location then vent it vertically through the existing vent. That means it needs two 90 degrees turns.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Toan.

Re: Water Header Relocation
Author: hj (AZ)

You BUY a "direct vent water heater", you do NOT "retrofit" a direct vent to it. It would be very unusual if conditions were such that you could move the heater that far and still vent it correctly.

Re: Water Header Relocation
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

By all means be sure your installation is correct. Heating water can create a bomb if not done correctly. Investigate as much as possible so you are familiar with the danger and do the job safely...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.