Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Outdoor Water Sprinkler leaking near cleanout plug
Author: pilot1226 (NJ)

Hi,

I have an outdoor irrigation system that seems to have some dripping from what I believe is the cleanout/blowout valve that the landscaper I hire in the fall uses to blow the line out so it doesn't freeze. Simply put, I know the copper pipe out of the home is the feed pipe, which leads to a "T", and going upwards leads to the triple backflow preventer, and the outside with the dripping is a female thread. It had been a plastic plug, and I bought a brass plug at my local plumbing supply thinking it would fix it.

I wrapped the plug threads twice with the white plumbers' tape, tightened it quite a bit, and still having the same result.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have included the pictures below.

Remember, I need to have access to this in the fall/early winter so I can have someone blow the lines out so they don't freeze and break the pipe.

Thank you! Pilot

Re: Outdoor Water Sprinkler leaking near cleanout plug
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Are the threads part of the tee or is a close nipple ?

I'm not sure what this means. The threads are inside the copper part of the pipe. The tee itself appears to be soldered to the long pipe that goes through the concrete into the house and the other part goes into the back flow.

Author: hj (AZ)

That is a plastic cap, not a plug, and I do not see a "brass plug" anywhere. That opening has absolutely nothing, or at most, very little, to do with "blowing out" the irrigation system.

The plastic cap was the "before" picture. It was replaced with a brass plug. I believe this is where the lawn company blows out the line in the fall as there were lots of tool marks on the plastic cap.

Edited 1 times.

It would be the wrong place, since it is before the antisiphon valve and they would have to pressurize your HOUSE piping to do it from there.

That would be a good place for a boiler drain with a vacuum breaker on it. Add a tee to the PVC for winterizing the sprinkler system.

Ok. What purpose does it serve then? This is new piping from when the system was installed about 3 years ago.

If I don't need to access it I can teflon cement the damn thing.

Edited 1 times.

Yes, you sure can.

Teflon is a "lubricant", NOT a "cement".

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Maybe you can remove that brass cap you added, wrap some teflon plumbing tape around the threads of the fitting that the cap screws onto, then reinstall the brass cap. Hopefully that will stop the leaking. The tape is often called "PTFE" tape since teflon is a trademarked name.

Edited 1 times.

I have the tape on the brass plug now, unfortunately. I will look into something permanent.

A brass plug, or cap, is usually considered permanent.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Was the brass cap you put on there possibly one made for a "FLARE" fitting instead of a normal pipe "IPS" cap fitting? If so that may be why it isn't sealing. Can you post a photo of the brass cap that you tried? Even a cheap galvanized pipe cap would work for that situation if you want to try that.

Sure can. Will try to take a pic today or tomorrow. Thanks.

I ended up resolving the issue by using a higher quality teflon tape, Oatey "FASTSeal" tape. It is holding with no drips.

Thanks to all.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.