Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can you put plumbing in a house on telephone poles/ no wetwall
Author: itsjustcrazy (ID)

I am wondering if it is even worth thinking about plumbing an old hunting cabin in Idaho.

Problems
The house is on a well and built on 25 telephone poles (pier posts) 18 inches off the ground.
There are no inside walls except for a "bathroom" that is nothing more than a shower and washing machine that I run from a camping hot water heater, run from a well through a garden hose.
There is no room for a wetwall and temptures can get to 20 below every couple of years.
There are no electric lines in the area so it is run on solar therefore pipe heating tape is not an option.
To get from the well to the house the incoming line will have to rise 18 inches from the ground to the subfloor.

The good news is (I hope)
I have 16 inches of inclosed insulated space under the house. Currently 2 batts of R 30 atop each other.
There is a septic tank already installed.
So I guess my main questions are.

1. Can I plumb the entire house from the floor?
2 How do I deal with insulating from the ground to the subfloor.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Can you put plumbing in a house on telephone poles/ no wetwall
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

How does the well water get from the well to the cabin, is it electric suction pump powered by the solar setup?

If your cabin has heat for you to stay warm (stove, fireplace, etc) you might be able to run the water line from the ground up that 18 inches inside of an enclosure, like an insulated vertical tunnel or a large diameter piece of pvc/abs pipe that is wrapped with insulation. The bottom of this enclosure would sit onto the ground with no air leaks, the top of this enclosure would connect solidly to the underside of the cabin floor and have slots or holes that allow heat from the cabin to keep the enclosure and water supply pipe warm, it doesn't have to be toasty, just above freezing. When you weren't there and the cabin heat was off you could shut off the well pump and drain the water supply line.

Edited 15 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.