Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is it possible for a metal shower arm to crack from moving adjustable shower head
Author: Luxuryhome (PA)

Hello everyone and thank you for reading my post.
I actually manage a painting business and have a problem with a customer we did work for about 2 weeks ago. We have painted that persons bathroom. The client had one of those flexible adjustable shower heads. The shower head may have been moved slightly to allow access to paint over the top of the plastic shower wall that it is installed into. Few weeks later we have gotten a call from the client stating that they had a leak and the first floor was flooded. That the plumber assessed the situation and said that the metal shower arm cracked and caused a leak and that it could have been caused by moving this adjustable flexible shower head. Claimed that the metal elbow he replaced was in good condition otherwise. Not old.
The few people I spoke to and showed the picture of this shower head to say that it's impossible. That the only time the elbow can break is from freezing or someone hitting it.
I trust the guy that painted that bathroom fully and know he would not lie to me. I know that the shower head had no other interaction with but maybe slight adjustment. I'll be very greatful to any professional who can tell me if we could have caused this shower arm to crack. I also have a picture of the showerhead if anyone wants to see it. Here is a link:

[ibb.co]

Here is a link to the plumbers reciept who replaced the arm last week and is claiming in it that the pipe could have. Edm cracked by adjusting the flexible showerhead. I honestly don't even know if we have adjusted it at all but in any case have a hard time believing a metal pipe can crack from doing what a shower head in this case should do. Adjust.

DELETED LINK

Thank you so much in advance.
Jay

-----

WE (PLBG.COM) FELT THAT WE NEEDED TO DELETE THE LINK THAT SHOWED THE ACTUAL NAME OF THE PLUMBING COMPANY due to potential legal liability.

Edited 4 times.

Re: Is it possible for a metal shower arm to crack from moving adjustable shower head
Author: bernabeu (SC)

Excessive 'torque load' on the arm / elbow caused by the flexible 'cheapo' rain head conversion probably caused the 'drop ell' in the wall to 'split'.

One SHOULD be able to adjust/move any shower head w/o causing damage.

This is what the customer wanted, but could not afford to have PROPERLY installed:

You are blameless.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: Is it possible for a metal shower arm to crack from moving adjustable shower head
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Was it the metal shower pipe that cracked and leaked, or the elbow inside the wall? Your post title indicates it was the metal shower arm that broke, but in your post you mention the elbow??

OP's photo:

Edited 5 times.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

The copper eared elbow inside the wall can easily crack if too much pressure by tightening is exerted. Can you open the wall on the other side of the shower arm to check that copper fitting for cracks. It will be difficult to see so you will need a larger enough hole to use a mirror and flashlight to see all around the fitting where the shower arm is screwed into. If you end up soldering inside that wall, be careful and fully cover the shower wall with non flammable material so you don't burn the house down...this happens once in a while...Bad for sure.

Author: NoHub (MA)

The shower arm is notorious for breaking inside the wall and it does not take much to do it...no-ones fault they just break off easy.

That is why a cast Cu drop ear ell + a chrome plated nipple is the best practice.

...with a street 45 or 90 for the shower head...

Here is a link to the reciept the plumber left that replaced the arm.
I honestly think that it's impossible but would be happy to see anything any other pro thinks. Thank you

Deleted...

Edited 1 times.

So it was just the shower arm that was cracked, not the elbow or anything else? Maybe the plumber replaced the elbow also, just to be on the safe side against leaks. How extensive was the flooding? It would have only leaked while someone took a shower.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

I have had people call me because the arm "just broke" spontaneously, especially "antique bronze" finished ones. If it was going to break, NOTHING you did could speed it up, OR "delay" it. In addition, since the arm is "supported" by the hole in the wall, it would be almost impossible to move it in such a way as to crack the thread, even IF you could exert enough force to do it. My opinion is that it was a natural occurrance and had NOTHING to do with anything you did. If you had done NOTHING, it would still have leaked when it did.

Edited 1 times.

The elbow did not "split" the thread on the arm "cracked".

He COULD NOT repair a cracked DE elbow in the wall for $110.00. It was the arm that cracked at the thread at the elbow.

That would give a "rustic" appearance, something the Flintstones would have.

Read the posts AND the bill. He did NOTHING about "replacing an elbow".

Author: packy (MA)

i stand shoulder to shoulder with my friend from AZ on this one..

Thank you so much for your replies AJ. I will deny this customer paying for damages. The leak was not very extensive and yes was only happening as the shower was being used.
The only thing I cannot understand is how this plumber vouched that this may have been caused by movement of the adjustable shower head. Needles to say, this matter is heading to a small claims court. I hope that experts opinions I've gotten so far are enough to convince the judge that it's ludicrous to hold us accountable for this.
Sincerely,
Jay

Author: hj (AZ)
Read the posts AND the bill. He did NOTHING about "replacing an elbow".

The plumber's bill did not display on my screen, I have Flash disabled. The OP said the elbow was replaced by the plumber that was called in to fix the leak. Did you read the first post carefully? Here is that part of the post again-

----------------------

Author: Luxuryhome (PA)
Hello everyone and thank you for reading my post...That the plumber assessed the situation and said that the metal shower arm cracked and caused a leak and that it could have been caused by moving this adjustable flexible shower head. Claimed that the metal elbow he replaced was in good condition otherwise.

Edited 3 times.

Author: packy (MA)

if bending the flexible shower arm broke the pipe behind the wall, then it was in terrible condition and if it did not break when the painter gently moved it, it would have broken when the homeowner adjusted it.
bang the gavel, judgement for the painter..

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

If you believe this is going to Court be prepared. Go to a Big Box Store and purchase a regular galvanized nipple and also a shower arm. Look at the wall thickness of each piece. You will determine that the shower arm is thinner. I believe it to be a different Schedule of Pipe and the O.D. may even be slightly less than the galvanized nipple. I just know the Shower Arms are thinner and any time I install one I use extra wraps of Teflon with dope on the threads. Then tighten it slowly as I get close to being tight. If I go past where I want it, and then loosen it, I don't want to do that just sneak up on the correct position. Since the Shower Heads are often adjusted by many folks, this can put added pressure on the threads and since they are weak anyway, you have a greater chance of a crack or breaking it off inside the FIPS 90 in the wall. Sometimes I have a tendency to over explain things. Please forgive me I am trying to be clear with my message.

cheap paper thin 'shower arm' = $1.95

1/2x6 chrome nipple + street 45 = $15-20.00

? which do y'all think is better ?

your first mistake is assuming ALL plumbers are ethical AND competent.

Author: sum (FL)

I wonder if the elbow behind the wall is secured to the framing? I have seen many "floating" elbows and you can push the shower arm into the wall a few inches.

Is it even possible the shower arm was installed improperly - crossed threaded slightly and was leaking slightly behind the wall but no one noticed then it broke?

For a "flex" shower arm like that to adjust it you need to adjust the flex part. However I can just imagine when someone is all soaped up in shampoo and tried to adjust the arm with eyes closed and grabbed the part behind it and pulled on it, that could also cause problems.

NONE of the above. It was strictly "age" and metal crystallization.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.