Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Abandoned line and garden valve
Author: sum (FL)

One of my properties has a 1" pipe (galvanized I think) sticking out of the concrete driveway, near the front of the house where a fence gate is.

Nothing comes out of it when the city water is turned on, or when the irrigation pump (draws water from the lake) is turned on. There is a dead electrical conduit next to it which goes no where also.

So I got curious and did some digging.

First I removed the garden valve and it appears to be a 1" female connection? I put a 3/4" copper pipe next to it and it's bigger.

On the other side of the gate I dug and found two pipes. One at the bottom is a 3/4" galvanized water pipe which badly needs replacement (another story), the one on top of it is some sort of "poly" pipe? Now I took out some #12 copper wire and fed into the rigid pipe opening where the garden valve was connected to, and the wire came out of this pipe! thinking thinking thinking

So under there is some sort of an adapter that connects a rigid galvanized pipe to this poly pipe?

Can someone confirm this is a poly pipe?

If I want to activate the pipe and bib I have to connect to this poly pipe right?

How? I have a sprinkler line near by that is 3/4" SCH 40 PVC.

Edited 3 times.

Re: Abandoned line and garden valve
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

You have disassembled the valve body. Part of the valve is still screwed onto the Galvanized Pipe. You cannot cap off that thread, you must remove that part of the valve to cap it off with a Galvanized Cap.

Edited 1 times.

ah OK, I thought the threads look strange like machine threads. So I need to get out my plumber's wrench and take off that lower part of the valve.

How would I connect to that poly pipe?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

A brass insert female adapter would transition from the galvanized to polyethylene.

NC Plumber, thanks.

For some reason I just noticed the two remaining pictures didn't post.

I am not transitioning from galvanized to poly. The existing stuff is a piece of poly (I think) under the dirt to a piece of galvanized pipe sticking out of a concrete driveway slab. I want to replace that garden valve and reactivate that pipe (which may also lead to a few sprinkler heads in the front yard).

I have previously relaid all the sprinkler lines in the backyard and have terminated a 3/4" PVC line about three feet away. So what I think I might do is to connect the PVC line to the poly pipe, pressurize it and see what happens.

I need one of these?

It's barbed end is pushed into the poly pipe and you tighten down with a hose clamp?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

In that case I would use a PVC slip X barb. It would glue onto a PVC pipe and have barbs to clamp the poly to.

Edited 2 times.

I just measured the black poly pipe. It has an ID of 1" and an OD of 1-1/4", the thickness is 1/8".

Does that mean the size of the barb end of the adapter needs to be 1"?

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.