Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Basement drains backing up
Author: Ruby011 (NY)

There are 2 drains in my basement. There has been significant rain here the past 2 weekends. The drains backed up each time flooding the whole basement floor and are very slow to drain out. I have always had some water leakage from basement perimeter after heavy rains, but not to this extent.
I recently had a functioning half bath installed on the second floor directly above the main floor bathroom. This is the first significant rainfall since that installation.
My questions: Could this installation have affected the drainage in any way? What measures do I need to take?
Thanks so much.

Re: Basement drains backing up
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

If these are basement floor drains (the ones that are backing up) that are connected to your home sewer line then I'd have the line cleaned completely to the street. There may be grass or tree roots that have made their way into the sewer line, or it may have a partial blockage from something else. Some drain cleaning companies can put a camera down into the line to inspect it, see if the sewer pipe has partly collapsed in places, this sometimes happens especially on older homes. You may have had a slowly developing problem with the sewer drain line, adding the additional bathroom shouldn't be the cause of a problem unless you have increased the number of people in the home and have more stuff going down the sewer line.

The ground water from rain shouldn't be causing a blockage with your floor drains. Not sure why rainfall would cause a basement floor drain to backup, the sewer drain pipe is sealed from house to the street sewer connection, so no ground water should be getting into it. Do you also have a sump hole/well in the basement somewhere, with a sump pump to remove rain water that comes in around the basement foundation?

Are your basement floor drains maybe not connected to the house sewer line, but instead are connected to a separate drain pipe that runs outside onto your property and drains out there somewhere?

Edited 2 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I always hate when that happens. How old is your house/drainlines? Depending on age, use and abuse... your sewerline needs some attention. It needs to be cleared and cleaned. A camera inspection can determine if your line is defective, allowing roots to invade your line, thus creating slow draining or blockages.

Ask your neighbors if they have issues. If so, its possible that the street main has issues. You might wish to consider installing a backwater valve to protect your basement again backflow during the rainy seasons.

Best Wishes

Author: packy (MA)

if while the basement was flooded but draining out slowly, you used your upstairs bathroom and go no evidence of toilet paper or soap bubbles showing up in the basement, then the 2 are unrelated..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.