Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Old water meter leaking by house, newest water meter by street just fine.
Author: Angelah (OK)

Old water meter by house is full of water. Newest water meter is just fine. Why is old water meter full of water?

Re: Old water meter leaking by house, newest water meter by street just fine.
Author: hj (AZ)

A better question is "why is it even there"?

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Need to call your water dept and have them send someone out to check it. If that water is leaking back somehow after it runs thru your new meter then you are getting billed for it. There may have been a new meter and new line installed but they forgot to cap off the old line.

I talked to some neighbors and they said it's not leaking. We have clay in our yard and when it rains our old meter whole fills with water as well as our yard.

Author: packy (MA)

some meters have a light oil under the plastic cover.

Author: Angelah (OK)
Old water meter by house is full of water. Newest water meter is just fine. Why is old water meter full of water?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you didn't mean the water meter was full of water, just the hole in the ground where the old meter is located has water in it. That's different.

I don't know anything about plumbing. I just know where the old water meter was it is full of water. There is still pipes in the whole. I still don't understand my neighbors, I guess I have to just get used to the water and muddy yard when it rains.

Clay is not very porous, about the opposite of sand. So rain water doesn't soak into clay soil very well, nearly all of it runs off instead. Some of the rain that falls on your yard runs into the hole where the water meter is and it stays there a long time, doesn't soak into the ground very well. You've probably seen Play-Doh for kids, that is a lot like the clay soil. You could call the water dept and ask if you can fill in the hole with dirt, they may say it is ok.

Author: NoHub (MA)

Like Packy said....meters have a little oil in them,I do believe there Hermetically sealed .

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.