Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can't get toilet to stop leaking
Author: Les_Garten (FL)

I have an American Standard toilet that I cannot get to stop leaking.

It is leaking from the tank somewhere above the bowl.

I have changed 100% of everything out twice with Fluidmaster complete kits

Tried the Fluidmaster tank to bowl gasket and another one that is extra thick.

I have looked for cracks and don't really see any.

Leak, Leak, Leak

Had the tank off about 8 times.

Started out just replacing the bolts and washers and things have gone on since them...

The tank bolts are setup with

Bolt >> Rubber Washer >> thru tank >> with a rubber washer >> Metal washer >> thick nut

I also tried with another rubber and metal washer and thin nut under the tank, but there is really not enough room in there and it still leaked.

Went thru 2 complete Fluidmaster kits in case one was strangely defective, still a leak.

Before I hit the ejector button on this toilet, does anybody have a suggestion?

Re: Can't get toilet to stop leaking
Author: hj (AZ)

Depending on the model, some A/S toilets do not have enough room between the tank and bowl for a second nut under the tank.

Author: packy (MA)

fill up the tank but don't flush it. if it leaks then the bolts are the problem. if it only leaks after you flush then it is the tank to bowl gasket.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Leaks all the time or just when flushed ?
Leaks into the bowl or onto the floor ?

Mine are like that, not enough room

small leak all the time on the floor.

I can see a drop off the bowl portion just above where it hits the floor.

The drip is coming from between the bowl and the tank. But not fast enough that I can see where.

Like I said above, I've changed everything for new a few times now. I just can't figure out exactly where t is or how to stop it.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

If you've changed the bolts, rubber washers and the overflow tube with gasket then that's it - time to replace the tank or the whole toilet. Probably a hairline crack that isn't easily seen.

The tank isn't so full of water that it is leaking out of the flush handle opening on the side?

Edited 1 times.

Definitely not leaking out the handle

Author: bernabeu (SC)

try:

bolt - rubber washer (in tank) - thin s/s washer - thin nut (no rubber UNDER tank) - toilet - THEN rubber-ss washer nut

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

OK, I'll try that bolt trick next.

Since I have quite the collection of spare parts this won't be an issue!

Try this:

Remove the tank, leave the fill valve and overflow assembly with flapper valve in it. Add the bolts, rubber washers and nuts underneath while it is off of the toilet base. Place it on a table or someplace handy. Then add a few inches of water with some food coloring, slide it partially and carefully over the edge of the table and examine the bottom, definitely see where it is dripping.

Edited 2 times.

Could I be over tightening something?

Author: packy (MA)

answer please.... does it leak if you fill the tank and do not flush ????????

They don't let you quote here, I had actually answered this above.

But yes, it leaks all the time, a very small amount

They don't let you quote here, .....

tongue sticking out smiley

I see what you did!

.... but what did I do last summer?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.