Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Low ceiling in shower, need shower head solution
Author: ready2reno (TX)

I have a low ceiling in my shower stall and my new tenant is too tall to use it. Without redoing the plumbing, what are some possible solutions? Can I mount a handheld shower head from the ceiling and attach to the wall, for instance?

Thanks in advance,
Carolyn

Re: Low ceiling in shower, need shower head solution
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, just buy a handheld shower set and mount the handheld as high as possible.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Several companies make flexible or movable shower attachments that can be raised higher. To install you just remove the old shower head and attach the new adjustable shower head, They also make shower head water pipes that bend upward to raise the shower head, you just remove the chrome shower pipe currently coming out of the wall (it just twists out) and screw in the new one.

Here are two examples:

Edited 4 times.

Author: WJC (WA)

I once had the same problem I had a piece of stainless steel pipe bent into an s shape an replaced the old pipe at the showerhead. Good luck.

Author: WJC (WA)
I once had the same problem I had a piece of stainless steel pipe bent into an s shape an replaced the old pipe at the showerhead. Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess that would be about the same as the 2nd photo above.

Thanks for these suggestions. The plumbing is in the ceiling, as I said, so I don't think these will work. Bending the pipe as someone else suggested may work.

cg

Author: Curly (CA)

You maybe able to get a shorter pipe for the shower head to attach to.

A picture of the current installation would help.

In my experience, most of the time, ceiling mounted shower heads are mounted pretty high.

Thanks for your suggestion. You don't think a person would then bang their head on the pipe coming out of the ceiling?

This is my set up. [photos.google.com]

cg

Here's the picture again: [photos.google.com]

I don't think they get much shorter than this...

cg

Author: Curly (CA)

You "might" be able to pick up a little space by getting a different shower head.

I think this was previously suggested - use a hand held shower head, connect hose to nipple out of ceiling, and fasten bracket on wall for hand held etc.

Whatever you do will most likely look Rube Goldberg.

You could put a shower chair in there and have him shower sitting down, that's the way my grandfather took his showers.

No senior jokes!

Thanks. I'll hope for functional. Pretty probably isn't an option.

Much appreciated.
cg

Funny man.

cg

Author: bernabeu (SC)

expensive, but doable

there are flush mount rainshower heads available

try an actual plumbing showroom

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Perhaps this showerhead would work? It has a magnetic connector for the head.

[www.homedepot.ca]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.