Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Making 2 inch line work for toilet
Author: vt (MI)

Hi

I'm thinking of building a small shed/bar/mancave near the house. It needs to have a toilet. Getting from there to septic tank is a problem - it's a loooong way around the house. My plan is to lay 1' pipe between the house basement and the mancave for electric line, water, sewage, and whatever else I might need, like internet line. It'll start in the basement wall below freezing line, and exit in heated crawlspace below the mancave. It'll be about 15' long, straight and accessible from both sides, at all times later.

I have a kitchen sink drain right in the corner near which the "tunnel" will exit into the house.
The problem is the drain is 2" size. I now it should be 3". But other than building a new septic, I have no other options but to tap into this 2" for the mancave needs. Basement is finished and the toilet drains are far and buried in the concrete.

I need to make this 2" work somehow. The mancave will be mostly used on weekends, and toilet usage in the mancave will be absolutely minimal. Most of the time it won't see #two for weeks. So how do I do it?

I think I need to have same length of vertical 3" in the crawlspace to contain the volume of the flush, with some kind of inline waste disposal mechanism at the end, which is automatically triggered by weight or water, make waste uniform and output into 2" on the other side. But what exactly do I look for? What would be the name of the device? Better yet links to exact models and brands?

Thanks a lot!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Making 2 inch line work for toilet
Author: packy (MA)

years ago i owned a summer cottage that had a full bathroom flushing into a 2 inch galvanized pipe.
worked for many years before i bought the place and was working when i sold it.
so, i can tell you first hand it can work.
probably an older style toilet with a small opening for the discharge would be the toilet of choice.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

What about a Saniflo upflush toilet ? They can use a 1" pipe.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

They make nice looking camping and RV toilets, different styles and shapes, many are under $100. They hold 3 to 5 pounds of waste, then you remove the waste storage tank and empty it. No plumbing drains to deal with, never have to worry about clogging that 2 inch drain line. They are sturdy, you can easily move it around if needed. Sit it in one corner of your mancave, put up a privacy wall or screen and you're done. If there is room in your hideaway you could add a urinal for pee and connect it to the 2 inch sink drain, then just use the camping toilet for bigger events. To flush the urinal you could have a 1 or 2 gallon water tank mounted on the wall above the urinal with a valve to let water wash thru the urinal into the drain. Or run a hose/pvc pipe over to the urinal from the cold water pipe at the sink.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

"I need to make this 2" work somehow" The only way to make this work is to sqeeze out tiny, tiny turds. But you will have to warn your guests before they use your facilities. Good luck.

Author: vt (MI)

Ha ha, I knew that somebody will find a way to crack a joke on such topic.

The bio toilet is not a solution for me. The whole idea of having a toilet there is for convenience: mancave, too many beers, things need to get out. The toilet in the house is just 40 feet away or smth. But in winter - you have to go through the outside.

After reading first comment - I also now am inclined to think that I'm complicating things unnecessary. I measured the diameter of the porcelain channel in the toilet - and it's 3" on the outside, meaning the channel where stuff travels is no bigger than 2" inside diameter.

So if stuff clears that at the very beginning of the trip - it'll probably clear the rest. So I'll do a piece of 3" straight down into the crawl space for about 3' just so it can connect with modern toilets, and then narrow it into the 2" for the rest of the way.

I'll install those things that allow you to open and inspect on that initial 3' piece, and then another one where 2" enters the house and taps into existing 2". I think this will survive occasional #2

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

our sponsor has you covered:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve (CA)

If you have a 12" chase, why not run 3" the whole way and transition to 2" at the tie-in point with a cleanout there as well?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.