Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 new sewage line questions
Author: teamcuz2 (PA)

My friends just bought a new house with the sewage piping redone. When I went in the basement I notice stuff seemed wrong but just wanted to verify. I dont have a picture of this but the main stack heading up to the bathroom is still cast iron but in the basement they connected the cast iron to a 45 degree PVC tee with some kind of yellow sealer. This does not look good at all and is this allowed. What i would of done is cut the cast iron closer to the ceiling of the basement and would first connect the cast iron to a straight piece of pvc with a sleeve the from there i would run it horizontal across the wall.

[imgur.com]

This picture is of the main stack right after the 45 which I mentioned before. They build a trap in the main stack. Is that even allowed?

[imgur.com]

This is the plumbing that is leaving the house. The left is the main stack and to the right is the drainage for the kitchen sink, basement sink and the washing machine. This also looks wrong because of how the connected the sink drain to the main stack. I can see problems that might come in the future.

Can any someone verify my assumption and if you know it can you give me some kind of pluming code that goes along with this. Also this was skipped over by the home inspector.

Edited 1 times.

Re: new sewage line questions
Author: packy (MA)

what a nightmare..
that was NOT done by a plumber or even anyone with any knowledge of plumbing..
connecting PVC to cast iron must be done with code approved materials/fittings. the is no 'yellow sealer' that is code approved for that purpose.

Edited 1 times.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

The good news is that it's pvc, so not too hard to cut out and redo. And it looks to be exposed & accessible, can be redone in phases.

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The ENTIRE JOB is an ABORTION.

I used capital letters as an intentional scream of disgust a la Monk's 'The Scream'.

Yes, it is that bad.

Hire a licensed, bonded, insured plumber.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.