Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Please help! Relocating washer/dryer
Author: kimmie678 (NH)

Please help! Totally confused. Have 3 estimates to relocate a washing machine and dryer from basement to first floor of a 60+ year old 2-story cape style house. I'll try to explain the best I can. First plumber comes, approves of space on 1st floor for relocation, goes and looks around basement, says job is "easy" they will cut into the home's galvanized main drain for machine drainage and run pipes for water supply, no problem. Second plumber comes, says basically the same, except he says will have to cut holes in closet walls on first and second floor to place braces on the main galvanized drain. I ask if he can just extend the plumbing using what the current washing machine is already hooked up to in the basement. Initially he says no because the drain is only tied into what appears to be the house trap, but after some consideration says it can be done and gives me a price. Third plumber comes, takes exact same approach as first plumber but when questioned about the bracing, he says it's not necessary. I ask him about the second option to which he replies that cannot be done because the existing is just draining through the house trap and when the city comes to inspect, the plumber has to "prove" something about the trap which he can't because it runs under concrete floor. Second plumber mentioned nothing about any kind of inspection. I guess the question is, is cutting holes and bracing the main drain really necessary? Seems like a lot of extra work that no one but this one plumber is suggesting. Also, second plumber was going to do something so that the drainage could go through the trap with no problem, yet the third plumber was not willing to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions that would make my decision of who to hire easier? What is the best way to approach this?

Re: Please help! Relocating washer/dryer
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

I would hire the plumber who wants to get permits and have it inspected.
this is the guy who will not cut corners in order to get in and out as fast as possible.

If the plumber will be cutting into cast iron drains to add fittings then YES you need to think about how the pipe above will be supported BEFORE you go cutting.

You get 10 plumbers on a job and you will get 10 different final results. But in the end all you need is for the system to be leak free and function as needed.

Edited 1 times.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

On the 3 plumbers that came out and gave estimates, are any of them recommended to you by friends or family members that have had them do work for them?

Author: hj (AZ)

We cannot help you, because we have NO IDEA what is involved, because we cannot "see" what they are working with.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm with piperunner on this one.. good advice..

Author: kimmie678 (NH)

Plumber #1 has done emergency work for us in the past, but in researching they have some not so nice reviews. Plumber #2 is a very large company, friends have had work done and all say "they do great work but are very expensive. They also gave me 3 prices, the regular price, price w/ a senior discount (work is being done for my elderly mother), and a third/lower price if we purchase a "protection package." Third plumber was recommended by a friend. His company did plumbing/HVAC in new housing development she lives in. To my knowledge permits are not required, and only one out of the 3 mentioned inspection. My concern is why did one say the bracing of the drainage pipe was absolutely necessary while the other two brushed it off and said it was not at all necessary. Also, why is the plumber (#2) from the largest company saying he can use the existing plumbing and connect the drain to flow out the trap and plumber #3 says he absolutely can't do that? I just don't know which way to go, because they all seem to want to do different things. Cutting drain and not bracing it, cutting the drain and bracing it, using the existing plumbing and having the washing machine drain out to the house trap. I realize this is probably confusing and difficult to advise, but I appreciate any and all responses. Thank you.

Author: packy (MA)

it is confusing. add to that.. we can't see what is there and sometimes verbal descriptions aren't enough to give accurate advice.
plumber 2 sound OK and the senior discount will help. i would not purchase any additional protection.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Plumber #2 and #3 would probably do a good job for you, the differences are just different men doing what they think will be best and what they are comfortable doing based on their past experiences. Not to be sexist (going by your username to be female), but if you made me a chocolate cake it would probably taste great but would likely be different than the way my Mom makes it - and I'd be happy with either cake. [I would have said my wife but she can't bake worth a hoot big grin]

The extended coverage on the plumbing is a way to sell you insurance you probably don't need if the job is done the way it is supposed to be done. Some people feel comfortable by having that protection but it almost never pays to have it. Whichever way you go don't pay for the entire work until they are finished and everything is to your satisfaction. The only leverage you have to get them back to correct anything is if you haven't paid for it in full. Insist on this, no matter how nice, charming or warm their handshake is.

Edited 4 times.

Author: sum (FL)

It is important to support the pipe above if you are cutting a section out of it. However it may already be braced and supported, one woildnt know. It is often possible to provide temp support for a pipe during a repair. For example one may be able to put in a pipe clamp over the top plate in the attic. Most recently I had to support a 2" cast iron pipe I just tightened a pipe clamp right above the cut location, then attached some copper wire to the straps on both sides and fixed the wires onto the studs. You can asked the plumber who didn't mention bracing as a requirement "if you cut the metal pipe will the top part of it drop down if its mot supported from above?" and see what he says.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.