Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ejector pit vent line capped??
Author: Nykko (IL)

I am remodeling a home. The home was built circa 1950’s (mere guess). The walls were mesh with apx 2” of concrete…it was built like a freakin’ bunker. I tell you this for a reason…chances are great that this home’s plumbing has not been updated or modified meaning what I will describe is how it was built. Further, this makes me think the problem I “believe” I have may not be one at all because how could this house have existed this way. OK. I have 1 bath on the main level. The toilet has a main stack downward (drain A) and goes directly out to the main sewage line and the same stack continues upward through the roof (vent). A “t” comes from it at about waist height, runs horizontal maybe 5 feet and is capped at the end. There are 2 vertical pipes going downward- 1 (Drain cool smiley is the sink drain and the other one (Drain C) is not attached to anything in the bath room. Both drain downward toward the basement. All of those pipes (A,B and C) are black/cast iron. There is a 4th line (Pipe D) that is NOT attached at all to the prior lines. It is not cast iron but galvanized. This “solo line” simply comes up through the floor and is capped (PIN THIS).

There is an an ejector pit in the basement directly below the bath. There I can see the toilet stack go out the main line. FINE I also see the ejector pit is plumbed to pump out the same main line. FINE. The vent for the ejector pit is where things get weird. The ejector vent is tied into a line that veers right and ultimately ties to the “solo line (PIPE 4)” noted above. That solo line is capped in the bathroom upward and runs downward to and through the basement floor. It ties into two things in the basement- the ejector vent line (at above 4 feet from the basement floor) and a basement sink line at maybe 6” from the basement floor. So the ejector pit “vent” line is above the bathroom basement drain line. Chances are they both use this vent line. The problem is the line is CAPPED in the bathroom. It leads nowhere. Remember I mentioned this house has not been remodeled. This means the home was intended to work this way but how could it? How can a vent be a vent with a cap on it? Seems that line should continue through the attic and out the roof?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.