Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need advice water build up under bath.
Author: Happy2b (Non-US)

I was hoping to get some advice on what happens to the concrete foundation, walls and surrounding structure when the water that has been leaking and building up under the bathtub has been happening for a long time. I am currently renting the property and moved in not long ago. Unfortunately I did not know of the pre-existing problem until recently, and there was a dodgy job done to hide faults (re-sealing and re-painting). Thank you all for any information that you could give.

Re: Need advice water build up under bath.
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

For one thing, the wooden flooring under the tub and in the area will get water-logged, soften and decay. Any flooring such as vinyl/linoleum or tiles that is attached to the top of the floor near the tub can loosen. Also, your water bill is higher than it should be, and if the leaking water is from the hot water pipe then your elec/gas bill is higher than it should be. If there is a crawlspace under this part of the house the water leak invites termites and other pests. Mold and mildew can develop due to the wetness. Depending on the size of the leak and if it is near the foundation wall it can cause the ground under the foundation to weaken and the foundation will crack.

Author: dalejr72 (TN)

There should be no problem with the concrete,, it should dry out in a few days as long as no water is still leaking. wood or any other material would be a problem,,, 25 year Plumber and ICC commercial plumbing inspector.

Thank you. smiling smiley
Author: Happy2b (Non-US)

Thank you for that, sounds like I have a few people I will need to get out to fix the structures surrounding the bathroom, the leak under the bath has been fixed but I have had to get the carpet removed from adjoining rooms (there were white patches under the carpet on the concrete where the water had managed to penetrate, hence the question of the damage that could be caused to the foundation). I appreciate the help, Thank you.

Edited 1 times.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Since you are renting this property isn't it the landlord/owner's problem to get it fixed?

Concrete itself isn't damaged by water, that's why it is used for sidewalks and highways. But if the ground under the concrete that is supporting it gets wet and stays that way for a while the ground will give way and the concrete can then crack since the ground under it is no longer supporting it.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.