Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Weird Sink Drainage Prob
Author: soltangris (OR)

So my sink was not draining, when I ran the garbage disposal, it sucked it down, then spit it back up... The sink will drain at a super slow pace btw... So I removed the pea trap, and snaked the pipe a few times, going about 15 feet.... I thought cool its taken care of, put it all back together... and exact same problem... So im now Amateur clueless as to what to try next.

Re: Weird Sink Drainage Prob
Author: hj (AZ)

Either a longer snake or the right one for the job.

I hear what your saying, however the sink starts to fill about 20 seconds into the water running, which would lead me to believe if there was a block it would be close to the sink in the pipe.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It may only take 20 seconds for it to back up, but the blockage could be 25' or more downstream and the pipe is holding water.

Author: packy (MA)

if you haven't reached the clog with 15 feet of snake wire then the clog is either further away meaning a longer wire is needed OR the wire has the wrong stlye head on it and you are drilling a hole thru the clog rather than loosening it so it can be washed away.
there is no other scenario..

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Are any other drains in the house not working? That will give a clue as to whether the clog is close to this sink or further along in the drain piping.

If the clog is close to the kitchen sink you can sometimes loosen it with a plunger, working vigorously, with water covering the plunger so you are putting the force of water against the clog. If this is a double sink you will need to block the other sink drain so the plunging force goes down the drain pipe instead of up thru the other sink.

Edited 1 times.

Hey guys heres a video of what I did

[www.youtube.com]

So in the video I explain that I used a 1/4 diameter snake, and did the full 25 feet, basically no resistance and no junk on it when I removed it... I broke it because I went the entire length in... No other drains are having problems draining... when I assemble everything it takes like 2 quarts of water entering it before it starts to fill...

Author: m & m (MD)

Your drain pipe is holding most of the water; a little is able to get past the blockage. You need a bigger gun in this fight. Are you on slab or are you able to trace the length of the drain pipe to its terminal? That would help.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

If you have another entry point like a drain cleanout access cap in the crawl space or basement try snaking from there. Don't forget about the plunger method, it often works.

M and M, to my knowledge, the sink drain goes under my house and to the right of my sink for about 8 feet and then if I remember right intersects with my sewer line, and then heads out under my lawn.... Thats why im so confused about going 25 feet with no hitting a clog... shouldnt that be tying in with the sewer, and nothing else is blocked except the sink in my house.

Heya stuckin, I tried the plunger, it was a no go... I did end up forcing the water into my dishwasher, which then deposited it on the floor for me.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

In your case you might remove the trap, insert a drain king ( blow bag ) and hook a water hose to it. It'll swell up and seal the pipe off and put all of the house water pressure down the drain.

Author: m & m (MD)

Yeah, you may just need to get the slurry to move now and NCs method will do that. Hot water is better than cold.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

"CLOSE", but not in the pipe under the sink, and how "close" would depend on the size of the pipe and how much water it takes to fill it.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

You have a stoppage a few feet into your drain and that portion of the drain could be before your other plumbing ties into your drain. The balloon should work under those conditions but be aware that your waste is filling up above the sink drain and could also fill up the vent. Is the sink on an outside wall? Is there a Clean Out Plug facing outside so you can open it and not worry about making a mess inside your home? Is your home a one story so you could feed a garden hose with a drain king down the vent past the san tee to get full pressure on the stoppage? Answers to these questions could help you reach a successful ending. Good luck and keep us informed.

Thanks you guys clap

Ok Thank you guys I appreciate your time... I broke down and called Action ROOTER!!! 15ft away was the blockage, and he says that my snake was most likely going Up the vent... He had that larger one and had to kind of fight it to make it go down to where the blockage eventually was.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.