Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kitchen sink strainer
Author: Carrie56 (CA)

I had trouble removing washer from under the sink so a neighbor used pliers to bend the strainer upwards which in the process left a dent in the kitchen sink. How do I fix that? The washer will not sit flush. Can I use flex all? Thanks

Re: Kitchen sink strainer
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Which washer are you referring to? The rubber sealing washer or the friction washer? The rubber washer, usually black, fits above the sink, not below.

If the dent is confined to the recessed annular area of the sink around the drain hole, you can straighten out as much as you can with channellocks and use silicone to seal the new strainer. If the dent extends further out, you are out of luck and the only option is to replace the sink.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; The rubber washer, usually black, fits above the sink,

Who taught you to install strainers? The black rubber washer goes UNDER the sink, then the cardboard friction ring, and finally the lock nut.

You are right, hj, my mistake. There is a sealed "chamber" under the sink with a strainer.

I was thinking of a garbage disposer flange where the flange has to be sealed to the top surface of the sink, else water could leak out.

Author: hj (AZ)

MOST drains, in addition to disposers, have to be sealed to the sink or the water will leak into the cabinet, BUT none of them use the rubber gasket on TOP of the sink.

Well, if you have not been using the gasket on top I sure hope you have been using putty or silicone to seal the strainer flange on to the top surface of the sink ( plastic bodied strainers are an exception here), else I can guarantee some of the strainers you installed are leaking now, maybe not enough to be noticeable.

Here is an example of the gasket being on top
[www.kindred-sinkware.com]

Here is an example of a disposer installation with a gasket on top

The reason why the black rubber gasket is so thin is so that, when used on top,it seals but does not make the strainer flange sit proud of the sink.

Edited 5 times.

Author: Carrie56 (CA)

Thanks for responding to my question, sure helped me save a few hundred dollars for a plumber!

Author: packy (MA)

george 7941, as you stated.. there are thick and there are very thin rubber gaskets.
i have used the very thin gasket on top a few times.
there is a brand, i can't remember the name, that tightens from above.
it is european (i think) and used a threaded, hollow, slotted bolt that you use a quarter as a flat tool and tighten from above. those work very well with the thin gasket on top.

packy, Franke is the name you are looking for, they bought Kindred Sinks in Canada. Here is the strainer you were referring to

This is the plastic bodied strainer I referred to in an earlier post. Oddly enough this is the one strainer where a seal is not necessary between the strainer flange and the top surface of the sink. Any water leaking here will only leak on to the inside of the plastic body, which has water in it anyway. The bottom surface of the sink has to sealed on to the plastic body and the thick black ribbed gasket supplied with this strainer does a good job of that.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.