Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need help for installation of Water Heater
Author: Sarahanderson (NJ)

Hello Friends!

Last Week, I purchased a new Water Heater for my Home. But I am not familiar with its installation procedure. So give me some advice should i hired any plumber or Am I alone can do this??

Re: Need help for installation of Water Heater
Author: packy (MA)

our sponsor sell a complete line of felxible connectors. get a couple that are 3/4 female on one end and sharkbite on the other and you should be able to DIY.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Post a photo of your old water heater and we can give the best advice. If it is a gas model you will need to be extra-careful, best to get a plumber involved. If it is elec it is not as complicated and many DIYer's will be fine. The following assumes your water heater is elec:

Depending on where the water heater is located removing the old one can be tough, especially in places like downstairs and you have to bring it upstairs to get it out of the house. You can ask a friend to help you get the old water heater outside and the new water heater moved to its location. Borrow or rent a dolly if needed.

Don't forget to close (turn off) the cold water shutoff valve before starting to remove the old water heater. And turn off the 220v circuit breaker. Then drain the old water heater, the more water you remove from it the less it will weigh, each gallon is about 8 pounds. You can attach a normal garden hose (like you'd use in your yard) to the drain valve at the bottom of the water heater and run the end of the hose outside to drain, the hose will need to be at the same level or lower than the bottom of the water heater. Turn on a hot faucet somewhere in the house to let water drain from the water heater easier, that lets air into the hot water pipes. An empty water heater isn't too heavy but you don't want to drop it and damage anything, including your foot. big grin

The 220v power cable from your house connects to wires in the top of the water heater, often under a metal cover plate. The wires are usually attached to each other with a wire nut, make of note of how it is done or take a few photos, then twist off the wire nuts to disconnect them. Save the wire nuts to use when you connect the new water heater to the power cable.

After installing the new water heater don't turn on the 220v circuit breaker until you have turned on the cold water and filled the new water heater tank with water. Watch for water to run out of the hot faucet you turned on earlier, that will mean the new water heater is full and that also removes a lot of the air from the pipes. Once you are sure the new water heater is full of water check your work for water leaks, tighten any connections that drip. Then turn on the 220v circuit breaker and you should have some hot water in about 15 minutes, but it will take 45-60 minutes for the whole tank to get heated, depending on size. When you turn on a faucet there can still be some air in the pipes so don't be surprised if it hisses/spits at first, that will stop shortly.

Edited 15 times.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

I will just add be sure to properly secure the water heater to the wall and install a Smitty Pan below your new WH and pipe it to drain where you will notice it if water starts coming out showing a leak that must be repaired right away. If it is a gas WH pay attention to install and check for leaks prior to lighting the Heater.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.