Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 1 1/4 threaded extension
Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

I have a 1 1/4 chrome brass trap with a fine threaded inlet and the extension tail piece rotted out and I cant find a replacement. All I can find is a double threaded tail piece and I need a one that is belled on one end and threaded on the other. I have checked hardware stores, plumbing supply stores, and plumbing supply web sites. Do they sell them?

Edited 2 times.

Re: 1 1/4 threaded extension
Author: packy (MA)

what do you mean 'bellied' on one end ?

[www.bing.com] One of them with fine male threads on the bottom.

Author: Ridgidman (VA)

Can you just remove the entire trap assembly and change everything over to plastic slip joint?

Author: hj (AZ)

Probably an American Standare 1 1/2" threaded belled down to 1 1/4" tubing outlet.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Did you look at the chromed drain parts on this site's page?

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

I have looked on plumbing supply.com and they only have a double threaded tailpiece or an extension with out male threads. It would probably not be a good seller.

does it have to have a slip nut at the top??
can you use a doudle ended threaded, cut off one end and expand it with a hammer in expander?

It has a slip nut connection on one end. I was lucky to get the broken piece out of the inlet and not damage the fine threads. I could use a double slip nut coupling.

or just expand one end of an 1 1/4 threaded tailpiece so a 1 1/4 tailpiece with a nut on it slip right in.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Using that....don't you wind up with the end of the tubing against the flow?

The expanded end would go on the lavatory drain and how would it seal?

Author: hj (AZ)

how about a photo of that thing you are trying to replace. None of the descriptions really make sense.

The trap inlet has fine female threads so I need something with fine male threads that will screw into the trap and the other end need s to have a slip nut connection to connect to the lav drain.

Author: steve_g (CA)

That sounds like plumbing from the upside-down planet. Please post a picture. You could take it with your phone and upload to photobucket, or follow the directions here [www.plbg.com]

ah, i just pictured what you are asking about.
this is a chrome drum trap.. correct...

Drum trap or hair interceptor. I will try to get some pics.

i know exactly what you are after. i have seen those before.
i would still use a threaded tailpiece that i would expand at the top with the tool you hammer on to open the tube a little. the tool make a female socket of about 1 1/2 inches long. we used that tool all the time in the old days. just a touch of pipe dope on the male part to be inserted and shove it in.
so to be clear..
lower piece would be threaded on the bottom and expanded on the top.
top piece would have slip nut on top and bottom of it would slide into the socket of the lower piece.

That would work if I could get the expander or I could use a double slip joint coupling and use the threaded tail piece. I want to sell it so I don t want spend too much. The top outlet has a slip nut connection so I could get a waste arm that would fit a chrome p trap. probably got a better chance of getting a nor,eastern than finding the right part. laugh

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.