Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 old style koehler shower valve
Author: DaveM (IL)

I have an "old style" single handle Koehler shower valve that is not the cartridge style. I had replaced the packing that I purchased at a local plumbing supply approx. 6 years ago. The valve is now allowing leak by which requires you to tighten down on the handle after every use to stop dripping at shower head. I believe this "tightening" is causing the packing material to "crush", which is worsening the dripping. I need to replace this packing material, and the plumbing supply house now needs a model # of the shower valve in order to help me. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase this packing material, as I am trying to repair this instead if tearing out the old valve and replacing with new. The shower is tiled and would be impossible to replace tiles if broken (pre 1960 tiles). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: old style koehler shower valve
Author: packy (MA)

the only old kohler valve that i know of is the kohler niedecken.
[www.google.com]

Author: NoHub (MA)

1) if you could post a few pictures that would be helpful.(2) you can go from threw the wall behind the shower valve (Perfected by most Plumbers) to replace the valve.

Author: asktom (MT)

Nidecken is probably right. You should be able to get a kit that includes the packing, special H&C washers and fiber seal. There are two versions that use different fibers, but you can normally get by without changing it. If the stem is so worn that need to change it then you need to buy a special tool to remove the bushing under the packing washer.

Author: hj (AZ)

Leaking "from the shower head" is NOT caused by the packing. You need new washers and maybe seats inside the valve body.

Re: old style kohler shower valve smile
Author: DaveM (IL)

I had replaced the packing and I believe the washers the last time I did this and it solved the dripping from the shower head problem. I figured it was the packing, but the washers do sound more likely. I think I will try to get the complete kit at local plumbing supply and replace the washers and packing.

Thanks for the name, I looked at the pictures, and yes that is the one.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.