Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 copper fitting corrosion at shower valve
Author: vorhaus (OH)

i am remodeling bathroom and am replacing ahower and walls. when i tore out the shower valve wall i niticed corrosion on the copper fittings around and near the shower valve. My question is "should I be concerned with this corrosion and replace the corrod3d parts and/or replace the valve too or should i just ignore it and proceed with installing the new shower walls? I have pix. Not sure if and how to post pic? i can text pic if link dont work
[goo.gl]

Edited 7 times.

Re: copper fitting corrosion at shower valve
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

You should not have to replace anything. Clean up the corrosion by wiping it with a rag and then use sandpaper till the pipes come out clean. Check to ensure the corrosion was only on the surface and has not eaten away any significant portion of the pipes.

The corrosion arose from the pipes being not wiped down after soldering and the remaining flux, acidic from containing hydrochloric acid, corroding the copper. The lazy @#$%& who soldered the valve in place could not be bothered to wipe off excess flux.

Author: packy (MA)

i don't see any need to change that valve body. it is a moen and the parts are guaranteed for life. the parts for that particular valve are common and various trim configurations will fit it. you will have to use trim from moen, not from another company..

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

I see this Moen valve has integral stops. Nice feature.

WHAT is that large round part between the valve and the cold stop?

Author: m & m (MD)

Piperunner- that is the pressure-balance spool.

Author: NoHub (MA)

That "Green stuff" is caused by not wiping your joints of flux after soldering.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Before I would button the drywall you might consider installing a new cartridge to be sure you will not have any o-ring leaks. All depends on the condition of your water over that period of time.

Thanks. Planning on getting new cartridge. someone else told me to get a new pressure balance valve too?

Hoise was built in 2002. all the joints i can see in the basement runs all have ut. There wasnt a joint wiped in yhe whole place except for where i installed twin 40 gal watwr tanks. i wipe all solder joints with my gloves or damp rag.
Thanks to all responders. youve set my mind at ease. i will try to clean and neutralize all joints i can reach . been told Windex works well, as does a baking soda solution.

Author: Curly (CA)

Your existing valve is pressure balancing. It is Moentrol style by Moen as stated above. Before you close up wall you might want to look at trim that is available for Moentrol and make sure you like it.

Also be a good idea to have trim on hand before you put up wall material to make sure valve is set at correct depth in wall so that trim fits etc.

A nice feature of the Moentrol valve is that you can adjust volume and temperature. Most pressure balancing valves only let you adjust temperature.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.