Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with replacing rotted out toilet flange
Author: hslobo (PA)

I removed the bowl and found a rotted out the metal flange that was causing the toilet boulder rock. However I'm unable to find a replacement that fits the outside diameter of the existing PVC. The outside diameter is 5 inches and the best time able to locate in my local stores is a 4 inch diameter. Can anyone suggest whether these are even available? am I spinning my wheels looking for something that doesn't exist? And if so what are my options

Re: Help with replacing rotted out toilet flange
Author: Ridgidman (VA)

I would recommend using a compression closet flange. It fit's inside a 4" pipe. The flange has 3 Allen screws that you tighten down with an Allen wrench.

This video shows a bunch of different options to repair a closet flange. To see the flange I am talking about fast forward the video to 1:34.
[www.youtube.com]

Here's another video which shows the complete install of this flange.
[www.youtube.com]

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The 5" is probably the outside diameter of the remains of the old flange. I'd cut below that point, add a coupling, short piece of pipe and a new flange. That's assuming there isn't another fitting directly below the flange. If so then cut the old pipe out of the fitting and just use a short piece of pipe and a new flange.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Use "The Clam", a stainless replacement ring that fits right in the slot that the rotted steel is in. Use a Dremel with a cut-off disc, and cut what's left of the steel. Even if you have to cut down through the pvc to split it, go just deep enough to cut it, not a big deal. The wax ring will seal it. If you're worried, you could squeeze a bit of 100% silicone in the slot. Find "The Clam" at PlumbingSupply.com

Edited 1 times.

Author: EmyJ (Non-US)

If your toilet shows signs of wobbles and is not solid on the ground, chances are that the toilet flange is rotted or broken. DIY tips to get remove flange. Hopefully, your subfloor is not rotten.

1) First, remove the toilet. Turn off the water line, flush the toilet, and remove the water line from the bottom of the toilet tank.

2)Sponge out as much water from the tank and bowl as you can ( a wet dry shop vac would be handy).

3)Remove the nuts( the ones which attach the toilet to the flange) on each side of the base of the toilet.

4)Using a putty knife remove the wax ring residue from the exposed flange. Check if the wood subfloor is rotted.

5) Look for replacement ring, there are different models available with different suppliers, don't compromise on the quality to save your money because they are worth the investment.

6) Buy toilet mounting bolts which come in a package with the nuts and washers.

7)Using the old wax put the toilet mounting bolts in the flange pointing up.

8) Screw the new flange to the subfloor and the ring will allow you to adjust the location of the bolts.

9) Press down the toilet to seat the wax ring and wiggle the toilet back and forth to get it to set down and seal. A final spin on the mounting bolt nuts would tighten them.

10) You are well set, there you go.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.