Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leak at drain elbow and p-trap (PVC pipe) under kitchen sink
Author: daveenglish1 (VA)

Hello.

I installed a new garbage disposal and when I went to reattach the PVC p-trap to the drain elbow, I can't get a good seal, and a leak persists that flows out of the underside of the nut that connects the two. The nut is attached to the p-trap and seal upwards to the threads of the drain elbow.

I'm afraid I might have damaged the nut slightly when removing the disposal but it still seems to tighten along the thread of the drain elbow without any issues. I'm confused as to whether a cracked nut could actually result in a leak since the nut floats freely from the "inner" pipe-- it is only ensuring the seal of the elbow and p-trap and doesn't appear to me to be involved in the actual flow of water. Plus the nut seems designed to have air between it and the inner pipe even when it's tightened, so this makes me the think the the nut isn't the problem, that somehow I'm not getting a good seal between the actual pipes. But the nut is tightening, so I'm going in circles!

Could a micro-crack or similar in the nut cause this leak, even if the seal between the p-trap and the elbow appears tight? There's some physics going on that I'm not quite getting. I should mention that there was no washer connecting the two, I'm a novice so not sure if that is standard (but I was told at a store that it's normal for this set-up).

Driving me a little crazy, thanks for your suggestions smiling smiley

Dave

Re: Leak at drain elbow and p-trap (PVC pipe) under kitchen sink
Author: steve (CA)

-Deleted-

Edited 1 times.

Author: PHC (PA)

& pipe dope pipe dope pipe dope. never have leaks with that stuff - messy but great

Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

Pictures would better help.

Author: hj (AZ)

This is the trap's UNION nut which does not use a washer. But that type of trap typically does NOT respond well to being disturbed and then reassembled. I, and many plumbers, would cut it out and connect with a different type of "P" trap.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

These nuts are notorious for cracking when over tightened. I normally cut the ABS Pipe and put an mips adaptor and use tubular fittings to make the connection. It works well for me. But even then when you have plastic nuts if you over tighten you are asking for problems. With experience you will learn how much you can tighten the nuts.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.