Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Low-no water
Author: Apologist1 (TN)

I installed two new faucets (3 piece: spout and two handles) into two new vanities as part of a bathroom remodel. One faucet on one vanity works just fine. The other faucet on the other vanity gave out low water pressure. I took the lines off and reassembled and now I don't get any water at all. Pulled off the aerator but still no water. The only difference that I can think of in the second faucet assembly was that I purchased a replacement line that runs from the cold lever to the faucet (because the metal on one end of the original line was broken). Any ideas for a fix? Can a line be too tightly connected at the wall or elsewhere? Thanks.

Re: Low-no water
Author: packy (MA)

there is debris in there somewhere.
gotta shut the water and pull the stems one at a time and turn the water on while holding a towel over the opening.
once you get water at both put things back and try again. if still no water look inside with the stems out to see if you can see a path for the water to get from the sides to the middle.

I will try that. Is debris the most likely answer when both the hot and cold won't work in a brand new faucet? Are there things that have to open and close that may just not be moving?

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

How about a photo of this non-working faucet? Are your water pipes coming in thru the wall galvanized pipe?

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Could you have installed those "no burst" supply lines?

Best Wishes

sometimes called "no-flood" water supply lines. They shut off the flow of water if they think the flow is too great.

Edited 2 times.

Stickinlido--here is a pic. Copper pipe coming in from the wall. The line running through the cabinet on the right is where the cold comes in.

Yes. I did install one of these. Thought it sounded safer. The factory line connecting the cold lever to the faucet is the one I replaced. However both hot and cold won't work. Think that might shut both down? If I should replace what other line do you suggest?

Yes that is what I bought. Both lines coming in from the wall are this (30"winking smiley and the line going from the cold lever to the faucet that I had to replace. If you think I should try others should I just start with the factory one I replaced or change both supply lines as well?

Author: packy (MA)

no, one floodsafe supply will NOT shut down doth sides..
there are no internal moving parts inside a faucet other than the stems and a diverter in the case of a spray hose.
think of the faucet as a simple tee. hot on one side cold on the other and where they meet is the spout.
one thought..
the no lead laws have forced manufacturers to change materials and designs. i have seen faucets with some kind of little plastic tube that goes to the aerator so the water does not contact the faucet body.

packy is right, the one flood-safe water supply line/hose you replaced wouldn't shutdown both the cold and the hot water. Your photos are not displaying, there is no link for them. But you said your water supply pipes from the wall are copper, that is good. I thought if they were galvanized you could have rusty debris that came from those old galv pipes and clogged up the new faucet.

Wish we could see your photos to be sure of what you have. It sounds like your new setup is a 3 piece style. So your faucet spout is separate from the cold and hot knob/lever controls. This means there will be a water tube/hose from each control that runs to the spout. Since you don't have hot or cold water flowing it means something common to both side like the spout is bad. Any chance of an assembly error, like using white teflon tape to wrap the connections and covering the opening in the end of the hot and cold water supply hoses by mistake?

I'd shutoff the water valves below the sink and remove the new spout. See how the cold water and hot water flows into the bottom of the of it. Maybe try to push a flexible wire thru the spout from where the aerator attaches. Or blow air with your mouth thru it. There may be something clogging the water passageway in the spout. You should be able to take the spout to a sink that is working and run some water into the spout, see if the water flows thru and comes out the other side. Or you can just take the new faucet stuff back to the store and get another one.

You can prove that water is getting to your new faucet controls by disconnecting the water supply hose that runs from the shutoff valve up to the faucet control (hot or cold), disconnect it at the upper end. Then hold the water supply hose into a bucket and turn the shutoff valve on, water should easily flow thru the water supply hose. You hot and cold controls have a cartridge, I suppose they could both be bad/clogged but that doesn't seem likely. I'd check the spout first.

Edited 4 times.

Thanks for the help. thumbs

Stuckinlodi and Packy: meant to post a "thanks" note...after taking everything apart again I found a washer in the T-shaped piece under the faucet (where the hot and cold lines from the levers connect) which was getting compressed when tightened and shutting off the flow of water. Not sure why it was there in the first place? That issue is fixed. Thanks for the help.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for the help. thumbs

Thanks for posting a follow-up, good to hear you got it fixed.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.