Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water is coming out of the top of the aerator
Author: pecport (Non-US)

I had very low pressure coming out of my sink, so i took the aerator off and water flow was normal. Thought it would be simple enough to go buy a new aerator and screw it back on. Got the new one screwed on as tight as i can get it with pliers, and water is coming out of the top of the aerator, and from somewhere water is coming out under my sink as well! Any tips on what to check? the aerator seem to be the right size, it did catch and screw on ok (i think, first time ever doing this).
I think the water is coming from the very top under the sink, so must be something with the aerator, as if i take it off and then turn the water on full blast, no drips under.

its a female aerator.

actually, i tried to put the old one back on, and its doing the same thing. maybe i'm not putting it on right or tight enough? it catches the threads then i get it tight with my hands then use pliers to make it as tight as i can make it.

Re: water is coming out of the top of the aerator
Author: packy (MA)

there should be a thin rubber washer at the top of the aerator. this is what makes the seal.
if you have sufficient number of turns, you can steal the rubber from the old aerator and use 2 washers in the new one.
as for the leak, it is a common problem. the water is running from the top of the aerator and following the spout down to the base and coming thru the mounting hole on the sink. fix the aerator leaks and the leak underneath will go away..

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Notice the black washer at the top of the aerator. As packy said, sometimes you have to add a second washer to prevent leaking. You may have been able to take your old aerator apart and clean it. Often little pieces of grit get stuck in the aerator parts inside and stop the water from flowing. There is also a screen in there, looks similar to window screen but has smaller openings. That screen can get mineral deposits stuck in it (sometimes referred to as lime or calcium) if you have hard water, and that will block the water from flowing thru the aerator. You just need to soak it in warm vinegar for a few minutes to dissolve and remove the deposits. This may happen to your new aerator in time, so you can practice on your old aerator to learn how to disassemble and clean it.

Edited 10 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Aerators have threads for attachment. Make sure the threads on the aerator, must match the threads on the spout of the spout. Mis-matched thread will cause water coming out on the top as the aerator is adding resistance to the force of water.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.