Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pex pipe vibration
Author: Stringbean (AZ)

My sprinkler system is connected to the same water line as the pipe going to the water softener. A 3/4" copper pipe goes up the outside wall and was then connected to a Pex line that goes across the attic to another 3/4' copper pipe coming down the wall to the softener. When each valve shuts off on the lawn sprinkler it vibrates the Pex line in the attic. There is not anyway to clamp this Pex line down because where it is located in the attic. I have clamped each end but that did not resolve the problem. A plumber told me to install vibration dampeners at my washing machine which I did with no results. Would a dampener installed just prior to the Pex line going through the attic solve this problem? If not Suggestions are welcome.Thanks

ps. My water pressure is 90 psi and the Pex line is about 30 feet through the attic. The vibration is definitely from the Pex vibration.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Pex pipe vibration
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

You need to turn down the pressure at your Pressure Reducing Valve in front of your home. 80 PSI is the maximum pressure you should have. I have mine turned down to around 60 PSI. This lower pressure will cause less erosion inside your copper tubing which can have a useful life of 25 years or more if you do your part.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes turn the pressure down, and you might be able to push a couple pieces of pipe insulation onto the pex from either end.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

You can also install a water hammer arrestor on any water line that goes to an electric operated water valve to reduce the noise when the water valve closes off quickly, like it does on a sprinkler valve, washing machine, dishwasher. Water hammer arrestors work to absorb the shock wave in the pipe when the rushing water is quickly cutoff and the water hits the closed valve. They work, but you should also reduce your water pressure to 50-60 psi, that will help with the problem also. Depending on your setup, you may be able to install a PRV (pressure reducing valve) in the main water line after the sprinkler system connection where the water line enters the home.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.