Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washing machine drain
Author: Scottwiersma (IA)

I am remodeling my split foyer home and want to relocate the laundry to what would be the middle level of the house. Do to the proposed drain line being 41 inches higher then the floor of the new room I am trying to figure out the best way to drain the washer or if this move is even possible.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Washing machine drain
Author: hj (AZ)

How about a photo, because I cannot visualize a drain in the "middle level" being 41" above the floor.

I can't get a picture good enough to show what I am talking about, so I will try to describe it better. I plan on running the plumbing for the new laundry through the ceiling of my basement, which is the floor joist of the upper lever. By doing so the plumbing will enter the new laundry room at approximately 41 inches higher then the floor of this room. If I place my washer on a pedestal the top off the washer will be 8"-12" above the drain. Basically, I am trying to figure out my options before I start the project and get stuck at a now wtf do I do situation.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Split "foyer" home ?

Yes

Not that you have to, but I believe the standpipe drain trap is supposed to be below the laundry room floor. Have you taken into account the trap and the minimum height required for the standpipe? Washing machines are capable of pumping their discharge vertically up to about 8 ft from the base of the machine.

Here's what Whirlpool says but it may not cover all installations:

Edited 6 times.

Yes, but I won,t be able to use a stand pipe style drain. So, would a syphon break like a floor drain be an option?

yes, the siphon break drain is fine but I thought you said your proposed drain line is 41" ABOVE the floor? Also, the proposed drain pipe needs to be 1-1/2" minimum inside diameter, 2" preferred. It will be carrying several gallons per minute when the washer empties. There is supposed to be an air gap/siphon break where the washer drain hose connects to the drain pipe, so without a trap you will have odors coming out of the air gap/siphon break.

Edited 7 times.

Author: packy (MA)

"top off the washer will be 8"-12" above the drain. "
so... what's wrong with that ?
if you put a trap on that pipe with a 18-20 inch standpipe you should be just about fine..
you will need to vent that p-trap..

Maybe the washing machine wouldn't even need to be placed on a pedestal? The washer pump will pump several feet upwards.

Edited 1 times.

Ok, next question. Would I be able to come off the drain downward with the pipe to the p-trap and then upward with a 30" standpipe?

my code says 24 inch standpipe is max.. yours may differ ?
the reason given is too much momentum in the falling water and it can run right thru the trap.

Anyone have thoughts on using an air admittance valve vs. vertical venting thru the roof?

probably can use it if you make the drain and trap 2 inch.
remember. AAV's only let air in, not out.. so if the WM discharges at a fast rate, the displaced air in the pipe would normally go up the vent but with an AAV it can not. but 2 inch pipe should have enough air space inside to compensate..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.