Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 replacing galvanized drain line
Author: rschaab (NJ)

I need to replace a section of 2" galvanized drain from my kitchen sink. It's about a 10' horizontal run in the basement. The pipe comes from the sink down thru the floor turns 90 runs about 10' horizontal then turns 90 connecting with drain from laundry and goes down into the floor. There's a cleanout on the horizontal run.
My question is can I put the cleanout on the end of the horizontal run where it comes down from the sink? I could use a sanitary tee and put a cap on the end for easy access to snake down the pipe.

Re: replacing galvanized drain line
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

yes, a cleanout at the upper end of the horiz run would be a good place to have a cleanout access. The one that is in the horiz pipe now may have been placed there to make it easier to clean the downstream part of the drain where it connects to the laundry drain and goes to the floor. You could add another cleanout on that end when you replace the drain pipe to make cleaning easier down there.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Although a "sanitary tee" is probably NOT the proper fitting at that location.

Are sanitary tees only supposed to be installed in a vertical position? Seems like I heard that somewhere.

Author: packy (MA)

what my friend from AZ is refering to is that by code that 90 deg turn must be a long sweep 90.
but, a 'y' with a 45 in it will accomplish that..

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Stuckinlodi Sanitary tees are used on a vertical to connect a trap arm to a vent or to the stack etc. In Mass we can use them on their back to connect a dry vent to a horizontal drain but in some states they would want t a combo or a wye and 45 because it is below the flood rim level. Above 42" you can use them horizontally and vertical you install then so they curve up. sometimes you don't have room to use a wye and 45 or a combo so a sanitary tee is used.

Thanks for the input everybody applause

Thanks for the input everybody. I will use a long sweep wye and put a cap on the end for cleanout. I probably won't ever need to use it again once there's PVC in there. (knock wood) The old galvanized is 60 years in service it's ready to go.

Edited 1 times.

Are you gonna look inside that old drain pipe?
Might be a lost diamond ring or silver spoon in there! 8^)

Huh! I never thought there might be something valuable in there! I will definitely have to look, it would make the hard work worthwhile!

Oh yeah, there's sometimes treasure in drain pipes,
that's why plumber's bank accounts are so fat! big grin

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.