Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ice maker
Author: luis89 (TX)

So my wife and I just purchased our first home, and we are trying to add a ice maker line to our refrigerator. But the water source I need to tap into is across from the fridge. My question is can I tap into another water source like water heater or washer connection that is accessible and closer pls help

Re: Ice maker
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

My understanding is you can connect the ice maker water line to any cold water pipe that is handy. If you were to go to the trouble to run the ice maker water line to underneath the kitchen sink you can replace the cold water shutoff valve under the sink with one that has an extra 1/4" port for the ice maker. If you are using one of the saddle valves that often come with ice maker installation kits you will want to mount the saddle valve on a vertical pipe if possible, or on the top half of a horizontal pipe. This will avoid debris and sediments from clogging the small opening in the saddle valve.

If you connect to the cold water pipe at the water heater try to add it where it will be out of the way when the water heater gets replaced. If your water heater is a gas model make sure the ice maker line doesn't get near the water heater vent pipe.

What type of water pipes do you have? (galvanized, copper, plastic [cpvc and pex])

Edited 5 times.

Author: packy (MA)

do not use a saddle valve, get a kit.
you will need to cut into a 1/2 inch copper water line. the valve connects via sharkbite so no soldering is involved. you can even install if the water is dribbling.
you will have to buy an inexpesive tubing cutter to make nice neat cut.

Edited 1 times.

What about using the thick-walled plastic water line made for ice makers, it is usually easier for a DIYer to install than copper, plus when you move the fridge in and out from the wall you have the worry of crimping the copper or stressing the connection to the water valve on back of fridge and causing a leak back there. The plastic line is more flexible and lighter in weight. I know copper is preferred for professional installation (esp by old-school guys) but Whirlpool and GE both sell the ice maker plastic tubing in their kits. Just wondering if copper is worth the trouble.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Yes StuckinLodi, the plastic tubing is easier to cut and install and it lasts a long time. Just be sure to use the inserts in the end of the tubing so when you tighten the compression nut is has something to bite into that is solid.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

i say nix on plastic or copper...had both and both have failed.what i have now is a s/s i/4 x 60 in water line .has hook up on both ends for fridge and 1/4 in valve.if you dont have a wall box or are not close to source it may not be for you..good luck

Author: packy (MA)

i've seen them 15 feet long..

And you can probably connect as many as you need together. A long length shouldn't be a problem, the ice maker is low flow and they have a fill timer adjust if you need to increase the time for water to fill the tray.

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I used a 20' last week.

Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

The plastic isn't bad unless you have mice. I lived in an old farm house and had one chew right through it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.