Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Heater Venting Question
Author: huydinhsjsu (CA)

Hi,

I have a water heater in an exterior enclosed closet space approximately 4 feet x 7 feet. Plumbing code requires two vents for air with one commencing within 12 inches (31 cm) of the top and one commencing within 12 inches (31 cm) from the bottom of the enclosure.

My enclosure is stuccoed already so it will be hard to modify it for a vent at the bottom. The easier way for me to make a vent at the bottom would be to start it about 16 inches from the bottom. I will be breaking code but is there any other problems that I will encounter if I start the vent at 16 inches above ground? Like would my pilot burn out..etc?

Thanks!!!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Water Heater Venting Question
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

And where will it drain to, when it begins to leak or the T&P valve, goes off.
Best Wishes

Author: steve (CA)

Can you put the vent in the door?

Author: packy (MA)

code requires 1 sq inch per 1000 BTU of the appliance.
so if the water heater is 40000 BTU then 40 sq inches is required.
BUT the minimum requirement is two 10 x 10 grills. do the math and that is 200 sq inches. 5 times as much as you need but nevertheless required. so there is no way you will be starving the heater for make-up air..

Author: hj (AZ)

A 10x10 grille does NOT have "one hundred square inches of vent area". They only count the area of the openings which could be 50% to 75% of the total area. If you have an attic, you can also install the vents, one low and one high, using ductwork into the attic.

Author: packy (MA)

vrai...

Author: m & m (MD)

Is it too late to consider a direct vent water heater? It would not require modifications to the enclosed space.

A 10" X 10" return air grille is actually 11-3/4" X 11-3/4". The 10" X 10" dimension actually refers to the vented portion of the grille. "Free air" will be less than 100 sq. in.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.