Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sewer pipe repair needed
Author: LtSteve (MN)

I have a 100 plus year old house with my plumbing running through a sort of "root cellar" with a dirt floor. The main sewer pipe is leaking/broken. The pipe comes down from the living area and is buried under the dirt floor about 15 feet before it leaves the house.

What kind of plumbing business do I need? Do I look for a special type of contractor?

I am just starting to search for someone to fix it. I'd like to know what I need to look for.

Re: sewer pipe repair needed
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I'd start by asking neighbors and friends in the area about trusted plumbers they know that have been in business for several years. You want someone experienced. Is the leak in the vertical part of the pipe or in the horizontal buried pipe? They might be able to wrap a rubber patch with stainless bands on it until it can get repaired properly. That way you can still use your plumbing without causing more leakage. If the leak is in the vertical part then that can be repaired much easier.

Are you sure about the 15 foot buried line depth? That would make it about 20 feet below grade, that seems very deep but I'm not familiar with your area.

If the leak is in the buried part 15 feet underground a basement floor that is a big job to dig up, you may want to consider abandoning the old damaged line and installing a new drain pipe that goes from under the main floor over to the foundation, then drops down to proper level as it goes outside into the yard. That way most of the digging can be outside the home. That's just an idea, the contractor on-site will hopefully know the best way to deal with it. Good Luck!

Edited 7 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

He means it goes underground, (probably a foot or so down), and then runs 15 feet underground to the building's wall before it leaves the building.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

thanks hj, now I understand and it makes a lot more sense.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

well, you just don't know until you dig and expose the whole length.
but, being in MN, the ground is likely frozen so any outside work will have to wait.
one thing for sure.. you are just removing fill so you will not run into hunks of granite as big as an F450..

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

You should definitely replace the 100 year old pipe with ABS or PVC. You may have to insulate it if conditions are freezing at times.

Author: sum (FL)

Hunk of granite that big? Don't they mine this stuff?

Most of our soil down here is sand so we are lucky. One time putting up a fence the contractor digging post holes ran into coral rocks, big ones so he moved over two feet to avoid having to break up the rock and the inspector failed it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.