Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New symmons (s-4002) leaking
Author: Steve williams (MA)

Hi guys. I posted before about this.brand new symmons s-4002 leaking from diverter. I managed to remove it. No apparent damage to o ring or spindle. I didn't have any plumbers grease so I lubed it with a little vaseline,reinstalled it, and wa la. No leak.(at first). It started leaking again though. I'm gonna order a new part and try that. Maybe some of you plumbers who deal with these valves a lot could tell me. Should I expect this valve to be leaky. Are most of them leaky or not leaky. It only leaks when the water is running. My concern is that it will wick up the under side of the valve body and leak behind the wall,then downstairs causing ceiling damage. I could bend up a flashing to divert the water into the shower but it seems like a band aid solution. Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: New symmons (s-4002) leaking
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

It should not leak, there is a defect somewhere. Maybe try contacting the manufacturer, since it is new presumably it is in warranty and they should gladly give you technical support. Or return it to the place where you purchased it and get another one.

[www.symmons.com]

tel:1-800-796-6667

Is this what it looks like?

Edited 6 times.

Hi s.i.l. that is the same valve body(without the shut offs though). I appreciate the feedback. My feeling is that it shouldn't leak. I did buy it "new" @ home depot or lowes (can't remember which. Ha ha). The real issue here is becoming cost of labor. These kind of issues can cost. Holds up the tile work too. If I have to replace it.later, I'd probably have to cut open the kitchen wall. Nice easy job. Right?
Thanks. I'll call symmons and see what they can do.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Describe to them where it is leaking, send them a photo of the dribble if possible. They should be able to find a solution. Good that you caught the problem now than getting a callback later.

Would it be faster & better overall to have the valve removed & replaced with another one from HD/Lowe's so you could continue with the other work?

Where exactly do you see it leaking from?

I think I maybe found the parts breakdown drawing for it, in case someone has suggestions on how to repair the leak.

Edited 8 times.

Hi again. The water is dribbling(not gushing) from where the diverter handle inserts. So it must be seeping past the "one" o ring on the spindle. A little vaseline on the o ring stopped the leak for about a minute. Then the leak started again. So the problem must be either with the rubber o ring or the housing it contacts. Or possibly the plastic spindle. None of these are apparent on inspection. As to your other question, I suppose it might be cheaper to replace the entire valve,but if I replace the spindle with a new one and it fixes the problem, that would be better. If not, I'll probably have to switch the whole valve.

Author: packy (MA)

i have installed and repaired hundreds of symmons valves. i have fixed dozens and dozens of diverter spindle leaks. i have never had one that leaked after the spindle was replaced.

Author: NoHub (MA)

Steve...you didn't do something silly like "clean the inside of the diverter shaft" with a wire brush did you?

Nope. No wire brush. I turned the water on with the spindle out to flush it. Replaced the spindle (same one) I've ordered new parts from symmons. They were very helpful. Sent new parts. Also, they sent an oversized spindle which I'll try if the regular part doesn't do the trick. (lol "something silly"winking smiley I thought that might be a bad idea. It seems like that surface should seal better without scratches. Maybe fine steel wool on older valve if corrosion is evident.

Oh, by the way, at least one you tube video I've watched recomended I do that very thing.(clean that port with a wire brush). I wonder how many people have done something silly. I have a lot of respect for good and experienced plumbers. Anyone who thinks plumbing is an easy job is sadly mistaken.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.