Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 shower/tub has no hot water flowing
Author: dorancat (Non-US)

Recently, the hot water in our bathroom tub/shower has stopped flowing. The tub/shower uses a single-handle faucet. We can turn the faucet handle and cold water comes out, but as we turn it to the "hot", the water stops flowing. Reading some posts in this forum, it seems like it might be a hot water cartridge or flow control of some sort.

So, I disassembled the faucet, and found a plastic insert inside. Images are attached.

I think I would like to remove the plastic insert and clean or replace it. Does that sound right? However, that plastic guy isn't budging. I have tried applying moderate force, but am worried that I will break it.

My question is... Is my assumption about removing this plastic piece correct? Is it just jammed it there and I need to work it to get it out? Or is there a more appropriate technique for removing it?

Thanks for any advice.

Doran

Edited 1 times.

Re: shower/tub has no hot water flowing
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That plastic insert is part of the cartridge. It's stuck in there pretty good, they make a few different tools to help pull it free. If you can get it to turn a little bit it'll ride up on those ridges and that'll pull it out a 1/4" or so. That may be enough to loosen it up so that it can be pulled the rest of the way out with a pair of pliers. If not you'll need to purchase a Moen cartridge puller.

Author: morrisonplumbing (CA)

There is a metal pin at the top, remove this and you will need to use much force to remove the shower cartridge.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

It LOOKS like you have removed the retainer clip. If so, then you have about a 90% chance of pulling it out slightly, rotating it and sliding it out. IF you are one of the 10% unlucky ones, the rubber seals on the sides will "roll under" and jam it. If that happens you will have to "play it by ear" and try anything you can think of to get it the rest of the way. It can take HOURS to remove if that happens.

Author: m & m (MD)

"... It can take HOURS to remove if that happens..."

For those of us who have been in the ten percent column, it will also cause you to swear off Moen products for a very, very long time.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.