Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sink drain slow. Vent pipe?
Author: asianboywonder (CA)

Hi all,

This is my first post. Just moved into my house 2 years ago and it was a flip. I've noticed that within those 2 years, the flippers did a half ass job.

Bathroom sink after water is run 10+ seconds, it fills up quickly and is very slow to drain.

1. I removed the P trap and all fittings underneath the sink and noticed there was no clog
2. I snaked the drain from the wall to 10-15' on with no issue
3. I placed a hose into the drain attached to the wall and that pipe has issues taking the water.
4. I went on the roof of my house and noticed that there is a vent pipe to the adjacent toilet. Not sure if the sink is attached.
5. went underneath my house and noticed that the sink drain is connected to the toilet waist drain with fittings and about 4" pipe. Also connected to this line is my Kitchen sink drain as well.

What can be my issue?

thanks,

ABW

Re: sink drain slow. Vent pipe?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Is any of the piping galvanized or is it all plastic ?

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

The bathroom with the sink that is slow to drain, is the bathtub and toilet draining ok? How about the rest of the house, all other drains working ok? If all else is draining ok, just that sink is draining slow, then you probably didn't get its drain completely cleaned out. Small snakes or augers will often punch thru a clog instead of pushing them into the bigger drain pipe further down the line.

The vent is likely ok if the other bathroom drains are working ok.

Edited 6 times.

The bathroom with the sink that is slow to drain, is the bathtub and toilet draining ok? How about the rest of the house, all other drains working ok? If all else is draining ok, just that sink is draining slow, then you probably didn't get its drain completely cleaned out. Small snakes or augers will often punch thru a clog instead of pushing them into the bigger drain pipe further down the line.

The vent is likely ok if the other bathroom drains are working ok.

All drain pipes to the main drain line are plastic.
All drains in the house are working fine except for this one bathroom sink. Hmm. Ill try to snake it again. Maybe i need to rent one with a bigger auger?

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Since everything else is fine, including the toilet and the tub/shower, both of which drain more water when used than that sink, I'd think the problem is in that sink's individual drain pipe. In general, when snaking or augering you want to use a tip on the end that is as large as the pipe so you can clean it thoroughly. Sometimes this isn't possible since there may be bends to negotiate and you have to go with the next smaller size.

Because you've been under the house and seen where the sink drain pipe connects to the main drain pipe then you know how far you have to insert and work the snake. When you have the snake in the pipe try running some water in behind it with the hose to help wash the broken clog downstream. Another idea would be to disconnect the sink drain pipe where it connects to the larger main drain under the house, if possible. Then you could try running the snake thru it from that end.

When you looked at the sink drain pipe under the house was it sloped ok going from the sink to the main drain? Don't want any backwards sloping sections in the horizontal lengths of the drain pipe.

Edited 4 times.

Thanks for the quick response thumbs

Thanks for the quick response. Ill try to get a hose behind the auger, but will be difficult as the pipe is very small. I'm quite hesitant in disconcerting it from below as my kitchen sink drain lines are attached to the pipe as well. That and i don't want poo water getting all over the place.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.