Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mass Code....Please Advise On Plumbing Layout
Author: RyanD (MA)

Hello All...

Looking for comments on these two schematics for a plumbing layout that cuts into a cast iron 4" sewer line out to a septic system. The reason for the change is a VERY small bathroom is being expanded (12" from toilet bowl to tub!).

You'll note that despite a very small space (still)...I'm planning on three vents (1.5" for a 3" toilet, 2" common vent for kitchen sink/shower, and 3" as lav sink/main stack vent).

There is an offset in this system that is greater than 45 degrees but doesn't appear to be a problem for the fixture values of the proposed load (about 15 FUs).

The reason for a separate vent for the toilet is my concern about running close to 8ft to the now offset main stack and a risk of siphoning from the tie-in with the shower. That is why the venting overkill.

The 1.5" and 2" vents would tie-in to the 3" vent via a vent header in the attic and then exit the roof via that 3" vent.

Lastly....remember that Massachusetts doesn't follow IPC or UPC but has it's own code...248 CRM 10.

The schematics SHOULD be compliant with those requirements, but I'd appreciate thoughts from those well versed in this code. For instance, note the kitchen sink (while a dedicated drain per code) feeds into the main stack BELOW the toilet and shares a common vent. I'm assuming all that is OK. Please note that also per code, that tie-in is within 10" center to center of the piping above it.

OK, hopefully these drawings make sense (and will load correctly. Not used to a non-GUI interface for image uploads). Thanks for comments, thoughts, and critiques.

Ryan.

[i.imgur.com]

Re: Mass Code....Please Advise On Plumbing Layout
Author: hj (AZ)

Packy will probably chime in, but normally the toilet would need a 2" vent, you do NOT show how the shower will tie in to the "common vent", and it should all be immaterial, because in MA you CANNOT do your own plumbing, so whoever you hire to do it will do it HIS way, regardless of any drawings you create.

Author: upside17! (CT)

Good luck with the work, man.

Looks pretty good. I'm not a Mass guy, so I don't know all of the specifics there...

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

You REALLY like the shower connecting to the toilet discharge without any vent indicated?

Author: packy (MA)

you do realize you can not do your own plumbing in MA???
anyway..
if the toilet is within 7 ft of the stack it does not need an individual vent.
if the shower is within 6 feet of the stack it too can be drained into a side inlet sanitary tee and no vent needed. it and the toilet will be stack vented.
the kitchen does need a vent but will have to tie into the stack not the toilet pipe. the lav as shown is correct.
BUT.. without a side view with specific distances all my advice is just guesswork..

Thanks Packy. Appreciated. clap
Author: RyanD (MA)

Thanks Packy. Appreciated.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.