Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot Water Heater piping
Author: Thomas Bud (PA)

Is the use of flexible hot and cold water connections acceptable with gas hot water heaters? Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's SS braided flex.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Hot Water Heater piping
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I think there is supposed to be 18 inches of metal pipe connected to both sides of the water heater (like copper), then you can connect pex to those pipes.

"UPC Code 604.11.2 Water Heater Connections. PEX tubing shall not be installed within the first 18 inches of piping connected to a water heater".

Edited 3 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Flexible copper or stainless - yes.
Flexible cloth braided plastic- no.

I've heard that some pex manufacturers say their pex is ok to connect directly to a water heater, just keep it a certain distance from the vent if installing on a gas water heater. But of course they sell their product worldwide and different places have different plumbing codes. Just because something will work doesn't make it legal. Always good to check with the local authorities to see if it is allowed in your area. As time goes by and new products become available the plumbing code sometimes gets changed but it is a slow process.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Thomas Bud (PA)

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's SS braided flex.

Some plumbers report the braided SS flex lines have failed or caused problems. You can google to see several forums where it is discussed.

Here's an example:

[www.ridgidforum.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

The stainless braided flex has plastic tubing inside.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

The 'braided' stainless is merely an OUTER COVER for the PLASTIC inner tube.

There are, however, 'flexible' corrugated stainless tubes, but, they are superfluous as the corrugated copper ones are the ones to use.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638 ~ Measure Twice & Cut Once

Author: hj (AZ)

Just like the tankless water heater companies say to use PVC for venting and the PVC manufacturers say DO NOT.

Author: vic (CA)

I rarely give my opinions here however I wish to share my opinion in this case that when using flexes connected to "regular" water heaters (which are almost always steel with glass lining) I highly recommend using quality stainless steel flexes over copper flexes.

Quality stainless flexes (not braided which have plastics inside nor "cheap" stainless flexes) are more compatible to steel versus copper (should there be a hidden crack in the steel lining copper and steel don't mix) as well as are superior to braided stainless steel flexes (which have plastic linings).

Stainless flexes aren't much more expensive than copper flexes:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Vic is correct. I recently had a SS Braided Flex connector leak at the fitting where the tube meets the 3/4" female connector. I will not use SS Braided Flex Connectors again.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

vic,

I stand corrected.

Due to the minimal cost difference.

:)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638 ~ Measure Twice & Cut Once

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.