Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pro's can't fix
Author: dawngri (CT)

All you pro's out there, please read the below statement from my last post, listed as "Pipes dropped when gasket removed". I should have started it as a new post. The pro's came 4 times and can not fix my problem.
Help...

"I finally called the pros. They said you don't need to support the pipes. The new putty will do the trick........ unfortunately the problem has become a nightmare.... the pros came in and replace the pipes and all new parts, the lever style components. The tub leaks ever so slowly, but the sound is deafening!!!
They came back and replaced the parts again. Same loud sound of a constant leak, yet the leak is very slow, barely noticeable.
They came back AGAIN and replaced the parts again, same problem. No one can figure this out......
Today they came back for the fourth time. So far the lever style drain parts have been replaced 3 times and all new pipes replaced twice......... still the loud sound of a leak can be heard. We waste so much oil and water....... they ended up by placing a plastic drain plug......
They had 3 different guys here. They have been plumbers for 30 years and have never seen such a problem.
They said they will try throwing the problem around with everyone they know, but are very puzzled.

Any one ever seen this happen????"

Edited 1 times.

Re: Pro's can't fix
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Can you be a little more clear with what you want us to help you with. I am guessing it is a tub overflow. Photos aid in getting you a faster solution. Try again asking with more clarity. Thanks and good luck.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If they are using inexpensive tubular waster and overflow assemblies, they usually won't seal 100%. A good Watco lift and turn would quickly solve that issue.

Author: hj (AZ)

What is this "deafening sound"? It cannot be water leaking through the drain plug. the parts they are replacing are "brand specific" and you cannot just get any parts that "look the same" and expect them to work. There are also aftermarket drain "plugs" that do NOT use the lever and would shut the drain completely. Where are you finding these "plumbers"?

I have a tub that began leaking. It used the tub drain linkage assembly, the lever style. I lowered the linkage repeatedly but could not stop the leak. It was old and corroded, so I tried replacing it with a new Danco assembly. No matter how many times I adjusted the assembly, the tub leaked....... so I decided to replace the bottom hair drain with a Watco foot actuated bathtub closure.
When I removed the hair drain, then the old gasket and putty, the pipes dropped 1-2". I went into the basement and tried tying them up, but could not get them into place properly. I got someone to hold them up, but the Watco foot closure would not fit...... then I called the pro's.
They could not get the Watco to fit either. They ended up By REPLACING all the the PIPES, from the linkage assembly and the drain. They put in a new linkage assembly, I think it was a Danco, and a new hair strainer in the bottom of the tub.
The water leaks out very slowly, but it is very loud. It is as if a microphone is placed next to the drain.
These pro's came back and replaced another linkage assembly, and made multiple adjustments in the linkage assembly. Could not stop the minimal draining, which gets very loud...... they came back and replaced it again, still didn't work, then they replaced all new pipes, again!!!

No one in the office believed me or the main guy that came. So every time they came, they sent the main guy and a different buddy. No one has ever seen this before.
So they ended up putting a rubber stopper in place of the hair strainer.
Thus at this point I have had the pipes replaced twice and the linkage assembly replaced 3 times, and now have a rubber stopper.
They promised that if they can think of a solution they will call me.
I asked them what if we were to sell the house, I don't want to leave this the way it is. They told me just don't mention the ghost in the pipes!!
I sure do wish you pro's on this site lived near me.

Author: sum (FL)

When you say "LEAK"...do you mean as the water drains out of the bathtub, it is leaking OUTSIDE of the pipes, and flowing into your basement, causing wet ceiling and floor and making a mess, or do you mean when you fill the bathtub and attempted to close the tub drain, the tub drain closure is not sealing 100% and water is still draining out of the tub so you can't take a full bath?

Author: packy (MA)

there is a defect in the danco fixture.
have them replace it with a quality waste and overflow assembly.
offer to pay the difference between the danco and a gerber solid brass set-up.
look up the prices on the internet as we can't discuss prices here.
[www.amazon.com]

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Danco, is a company that imports its products from foreign countries. Consider buying American Made Tubular Brass. You will notice the difference right away. What licensed plumber uses Dance... unless they buy their parts from a big box store, and not a plumbing supply store.

Best Wishes

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

I would use a build your own waste and overflow like this one. [m.ferguson.com]
I have never had a issue with them

wheelchair, on a rare occasion i have used a danco replacement part when i couldn't get an OEM.. they are made cheaper so i avoid them unless i have no option.

Plumberpalmer, i think those type wastes are OK but for this person who is trying to get the job done right, a straight replacement using a gerber solid brass waste would be the best option. then toss the danze waste in the scrap heap or bring it back to home depot..

That is ridiculous. All of those guys must be incompetent, because they should have been able to cure the problem with the first visit.

Thank you to everyone for your help :clap:

Yes, just a water drain leak, nothing outside the pipes.
From all the replies, it seems that the plumbers are not good and they used inferior products.
Thank you to everyone for your help.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

:(

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638 ~ Measure Twice & Cut Once

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Like they say, a plumber is not just someone that has a pipe wrench in his toolbox.

Or, as Benny Hill would say, "It is NOT What they are. It is just what we call them."

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.