Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 FAILED WELD huge leak, did emergency repair
Author: airbornebaby (WA)

So my question is can our emergency repair be used permanently, or how long would it last?

The plumbing to master shower had a weld fail and leaked. In order to quick repair to get the water back on, we used a "repair hose connector" and cut out the section of the leak.
Can this hose last? A handyman friend told us to use it, it's working great for now. He suggested it could last 30 years. But the tag says only use on exposed plumbing. Do we need to have a new copper section welded into place?

Re: FAILED WELD huge leak, did emergency repair
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

To answer your question, Yes. In an attempt to clarify the question, welding is when you attach two or more pieces of metal i.e. iron or stainless steel by near melting of the base metal.

Soldering is defined as a group of joining processes that produce coalescence of materials by heating them to the soldering temperature and by using a filler metal (solder) having a liquidus not exceeding 840F (450C) and below the solidus of the base metals. The solder is distributed between closely fitted faying surfaces of the joint by capillary action.

Brazing joins materials by heating them in the presence of a filler metal having a liquidus above 840F (450C) but below the solidus of the base metals. Heating may be provided by a variety of processes. The filler metal distributes itself between the closely fitted surfaces of the joint by capillary action. Brazing differs from soldering, in that soldering filler metals have a liquidus below 840F (450C).

To simplify the above paragraphs. Use Oxygen and acetylene for welding ferrous metals and Map gas or butane for soldering copper tubing (non-ferrous) together.

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

But the tag says only use on exposed plumbing.

D'OH

ps. soldered, not welded

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I guess a piece of garden hose would work too, but you need to consider the long-term reliability of the repair. And if it is hidden you won't know if it leaks, nor will the next person living there.

Author: hj (AZ)

Walking through a lake inside your residence might be the first clue that it has failed.

Pretty sure you misread that one

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm pretty sure though, that most of the members of this forum would prefer to go without the acrid, offensive tone SOME of you write with.
Yes, I read the tag, duh, I received advice contrary to my assumptions from someone with more experience than I. That's why I asked the question. The rudeness was completely uncalled for.

Author: hj (AZ)

W

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It was an impression of Homer Simpson. Not a 'duh' but a D'oh. It's one of the hazards of the written word, as opposed to a face to face conversation. If I was a friend standing next to you, and you asked me the question, I'd smile at you, read the tag aloud, then pretend to knock on your head, and ask if anyone was home. People tend to take offense at the way I write too. It is straight forward, the way I would speak to a friend at the kitchen table.In the case of this forum.....what would you say is the most important....politically correct, or correct?

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

sorry, meant no offense

You DID read the tag, yet you STILL asked.

To answer: It is not advisable to conceal a temporary emergency 'repair coupling'.

Even if your 'maintenance man' says it may hold for 30 years, it 'probably' will NOT.

Terminology is everything in the piping trades.

If you hire a 'pro' and request that copper tubing be 'welded' they may break out the brazing gear at GREAT expense to yourself.

welding - brazing - soldering are DIFFERENT forms of joining pipe / tubing

D'OH

Picture Homer Simpson hitting self in head while eating a

wait for it

wait

DONUT.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 5 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.