Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mysterious smell in apartment, HELP frowning
Author: dowoneekim (CA)

Hello, there has been mysterious odor in my apartment for weeks now and no one can figure out exactly what the cause is.
About two weeks ago, a faint smell began creeping in to my apartment through the electrical outlets and cracks near the kitchen wall area which began to smell more like sewage for the past week or so.
The maintenance came out and inspected the pipes/dishwasher/garbage disposal/cupboards/electrical wiring and found nothing.
The source of the smell seems to be coming from the wall through the electrical outlets mostly and may be coming through other possible cracks/crevices near the wall.
It's only coming through the wall of the kitchen and nowhere else and is the most strong in the cupboard located underneath the kitchen sink (possibly because it's closed all day and the smell is being trapped) and the outlet near the sink.
The best I can describe the smell is sewer/garbage like smell but not too pungent but bit sweet?
The building is only 2 years old and there are no garbage room near my location.
The maintenance told me that it most likely a dead mouse somewhere near the wall and offered to place odor-trap near the outlets for the next 4 to 6 weeks to see if it makes any difference.
The management will not open up the walls since they are not certain where the exact location of the carcass will be (they are going with the dead animal theory since it's what their maintenance guy is telling them).
I've never had mildew/mold before so I don't know what exactly they smell like so I don't know if there's a leakage in the wall?
Any input will be greatly appreciated as I have been dealing with the smell for weeks.

Thank you!

Re: Mysterious smell in apartment, HELP
Author: Paul48 (CT)

As I began reading, I was thinking 'dead rodent'. Since they won't open walls, the only thing is "Time". The smell will go away. Traps make sure they die where you can access them.

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

Are there ant trails going in and out of those cracks?

Edited 1 times.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

If it continues can you ask them to move you to a different apartment? That may be the fastest solution. Eventually the smell will either go away, or it will continue and management will have to do something. But you may not want to wait for either of those to happen.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Mysterious smell in apartment, HELP frowning
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Management needs to be fired.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.