Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water backing up in shower and sink
Author: Kelly C (TN)

I have water backing up in kitchen sink and shower (but, not bathroom sink), I've used plunger and draino. I am in dispute with landlord right now over repairs and I can't afford a plumber. I removed p trap and pipe from under sink, then flushed toilet, and turned on shower. Well, toilet still didn't flush, all water is draining into bucket I have under sink!! Any suggestions please? (besides calling plumber)

Re: water backing up in shower and sink
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I'd think the landlord would want to fix this to prevent damage to the property. Is the landlord the actual owner of the property, or just a manager? If just the manager perhaps you can contact the owner. The clog or blockage in the drain pipe could be anywhere in the house sewer drain piping or outside where the sewer runs underground and connects to the city sewer, so you or the landlord needs someone that knows how to clean out the sewer drain line using a plumbing snake. If you have a sewer cleanout access in the yard somewhere you can carefully take the cap off and see if water is backed up at that point. If not then the blockage is between the cleanout and your toilet someplace. Since the bathroom sink isn't backing up but kitchen sink is that indicates the blockage is probably in your house drain plumbing. But if the outside cleanout does have water backed up to the top of it that means the blockage is between the cleanout and the street sewer connection.

This kind of problem can be tough to fix on your own, you probably need to either get a drain cleaning person or a handyman involved to help you with it. If you are capable and want to try you can rent a plumbing snake from a hardware store or a tool rental place, they come in various lengths like 25, 50 and 75 feet. The tip of the snake has an attachment, you select the correct size for the pipe you are cleaning. Using the snake is simple in principal but can be hard to actually do. That's why it is usually best to have someone experienced do it for you.

Everyone says they can't afford a plumber but there are times when you have to give the devil his dues. <don't anyone here take this literally>

Edited 8 times.

Yes he is owner, and he lives in house next door, I am in garage apartment, apparently he is not having problem. We go to court next week. But I'd like to shower. And I really can't afford plumber I lost my job because he stole my tag and wouldn't return it. So, where do I run snake? Through open pipe under sink?

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

When the owner isn't home can you shower at his place? <sort of a joke>

It's hard to know over the internet where the clog is since we don't know your drain plumbing layout. Often the blockage will cause the backup water to first come out of the closest drain that is upstream from the blockage. So if you see backup water in the shower drain before the kitchen sink then the blockage is in that part of the drain plumbing. There are augers that go down the toilet and into the drain line, they can be hard to use because of the sharp bend in the toilet trap, plus you can really scratch and mark the toilet bowl. Is there a drain cleanout anywhere in your part of the house? Sometimes there is one outside that will let you snake back toward the house.

not sure going to look for one, thanks. I actually text him to ask where clean out was...he replied hospital.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Please help me understand the wording in you answer above: Hostile or Hospitable...these words have opposite meanings.

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd probably be more concerned about finding another place to live than finding the cleanout. Going to court, stealing from you, etc, doesn't sound like the best living situation.

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

deleted

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

This is NOT your property. It belongs to someone else and you can and will be held responsible for damages. Hearsay, has no value in a court of law. Pictures, and receipts have much more value. Any written transmittals between you and your landlord have tangible value.

Good Luck in your pursuit of justice !
Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.