Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PLUMBING WASHER/DRYER COMBO INTO KITCHEN SINK TRAP
Author: nycpro (NY)

Need to install a compact 2.3 cu.ft. washer/dryer combo next to my kitchen sink and a dishwasher in a multi-unit condo (not a house). Would like to use a double wye or something similar to connect all three fixtures (sink, dishwasher and W/D) to a single trap. Currently, the 2” x1-1/2” sink trap is connected to the main stack about two feet away without a separate vent. Now, I understand that the code says 2” and a standpipe and a trap and a vent but the code allows for huge washers, mine will be outputting max of 12-15 gal. Appreciate any suggestions.

Edited 1 times.

Re: PLUMBING WASHER/DRYER COMBO INTO KITCHEN SINK TRAP
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I'm not sure legally what your code would say about this, probably prohibited and also goes against good plumbing practices. But if you have no other reasonable choice and you are doing the work yourself then I'd say give it a try. It is your place, if it does work ok who's going to know how you did it? If you ever sell the place you can always put it back the way it was, take your washer/dryer combo with you or sell it separately when you move. The risk is that the washer discharge water could backup into the kitchen sink or into the dishwasher.

If the water tries to backup in the kitchen sink you may need to add a reducing insert (like a short copper or pvc tube clamped in place) to the washer discharge hose to reduce its flow. Contrary to popular opinion this does not harm the washer pump, just takes the washer a little longer to empty.

Edited 4 times.

Author: packy (MA)

use the double "Y" but put it on the pipe sticking out of the wall.
one side for kitchen sink and DW. other side for WM trap and standpipe. the straight part of the "Y" takes a cleanout fitting.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Hey stuckinlodi, any time you restrict a pumps designed outflow, I believe you do create stress on the pump motor. Can you share with me where the information regarding this is found. I need to know so I can give good advice to those who trust me. Thanks Stuckinlodi.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

When you restrict a pump's output (NOT suction) it 'pushes' less gpm.

less gpm = less work = LESS amperage 'draw'

The ONLY risk is if the pump is 'water cooled' and you throttle TOO much.

Pump basic theory 101.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

"less gpm = less work = LESS amperage 'draw' " Hey Barney, could this not be interpreted as: less gpm could be caused by more friction loss causing more amperage draw. Not disputing your reply but just a consideration.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Hey PlumberLoren, do you drive a vehicle that has a water pump? It circulates coolant water thru the engine block and the heater core. In summer when you select "Max Cool" or "Max A/C" a water valve in the heater hose closes so no water runs thru the heater core. This is one less pathway for the coolant water to flow, ergo you have restricted the water flow. Also, whenever the engine has not warmed up the thermostat is closed so that almost no water flows from the engine block to the radiator so the engine will warm up faster. This means the water pump is pushing against a dead end. Do you really think this harms your vehicle's water pump?

Another example, people with backyard swimming pools adjust the return water nozzles or shut them down to get the water circulating so surface debris is directed toward the skimmer opening. That restricts and reduces the water flow from the pump somewhat, but does not injure the pool's water pump. Pool installers and maintenance people do this all the time.

Many pumps have a designed range of output pressure and flow, they aren't limited to just the max amount of flow. Washing machine pumps are pretty forgiving. For example, at the end of the rinse and wash cycles when the tub is nearly empty the pump is kept running, even though it is cavitating and drawing air. It doesn't hurt them.

Edited 5 times.

Author: NoHub (MA)

In my state you could not install that washer/dryer that way... kitchen sink shall connect independently to the sanitary drainage system.seen a million installed that way but wouldn't pass inspection.

Author: m & m (MD)

Washing machine manufacturers state in their I & O manuals that the drain discharge hose cannot be elevated higher than 8' (may be more, may be less). Any distance above the stated maximum does not harm the pump, the pump is simply unable to overcome the friction loss/ head loss above that point. The same applies with restricting the discharge, the pump sees an increase in friction and the gpm is decreased but the pump is not harmed.

Author: SallyJ99 (FL)

curious.. did you figure this situation out?

I have a similar scenario and would like to know if this is possible.

Thanks

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.