Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with various issues on 2 new bathroom remodel jobs
Author: cevans6318 (FL)

Sorry for the long post but I need some help here. have been living in my townhome for the past 9 yrs and for the past few years, the shower in the master bathroom has been declining in quality. the tub base was coming loose and the tile on the walls was cracking everywhere and coming loose. So I hired a local company to do a complete remodel job of both master bathroom and spare bathroom. I had the tub in the master bath replaced with a flat acrylic shower base with center drain and a new acrylic tub installed in the spare bathroom. Instead of tile walls, I had the acrylic liners installed in both showers over what I assume is a new green board as told by the company. I liked the idea of not having grout lines to clean. To top it off, had shower glass doors installed.

Job was completed over 2 days last week. First issue I noticed was, if I press on the shower wall, some areas can easily be pushed in while other areas are nice and firm. Almost as if it was not sealed properly in some areas or is coming loose. When I push it in, i can hit the wall behind it. almost like a dead air space. Next issue is after I shower in the spare bathroom, I have a loud popping noise in the center of the shower when I press down with my foot. almost seems like the tub is separating in the center. wont happen at all any other time, only happens after a 10 minute shower. third issue is when closing the sliding glass doors, when the glass gets to the frame, when you look from the top to the bottom, the glass at the top is at the front edge of the frame while at the bottom, it is pushed all the way into the frame. I feel that the glass was not cut properly as in the center, where the front and rear glass meet, is nice and level, but at the end stop, not level at all. My question is, when an acrylic wall is installed, should there be any flex in the wall anywhere? or should it bee nice and hard as if tile was installed??

Edited 2 times.

Re: Help with various issues on 2 new bathroom remodel jobs

this was the contractors response when i asked about the flex in the wall

"All of our walls are designed to expand and contract as the house moves we us a butyl tape, it's a flexible product. I have photos of all the new green board that was installed last week. Where the wall comes down to the tub or shower pan there is a lip/flange behind it the wall goes over so water doesn't get behind the walls. It is integrated into the product. The installer checked it today and everything is solid. Of course around the flange/lip it's gonna be "spongy" see photos of un installed material showing the flange. It is also used to secure the tub and base in location. I sent them Just for reference. We offer a life of home warranty and our guys are trained to install the materials. We don't use liquid nail as it burns the materials. Hopefully this help."

Author: packy (MA)

find out the manufacturer of the walls and contact them. ask them if liquid nails burns their product?
if they say 'yes' then the contractor is being honest.
if they say'no'........
from the liquid nails site.. they say it will not harm plastic..
[www.liquidnails.com]

Edited 1 times.

wether it was used or not, should acrylic walls have areas that can be pushed in? I was told by another contractor that when installed properly, that the walls should be as solid as if you had tile walls installed. In this case, that isn't the issue.

Author: packy (MA)

your contractor told you they should expand and contract. maybe this is something new to the market?
call the manufacturer and ask them.
as for the liquid nails ?? well, you read their version of this scenario.

Author: hj (AZ)

I have never heard of "taping" materials to the wall, and unless it completely covers the surface, there will be "voids", but there should NOT be any in a good installation. In a good installation the covering materials AND the walls, expand and contract as a unit.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.