Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 True Mystery - Loud screeching from walls
Author: jay7 (TX)

My house is from the 70's. A 2-story town house. There is this squealing noise, sounds like someone is dragging a chair on the second floor of the house, but from the second floor it's kind of faint, but still noticeably decent level sound, but much louder on the first floor. Any way, it happens so randomly, that I can't even get a real second opinion. And I don't know if it's plumbing, a/c or what!
I've tried other forms of help online only to get answers like animals, ghosts (come on), tree/branch and hammering. It's none of these things. I wish I could explain the sound better. Sometimes I'll even hear a dropping sound like a light squeal or screech followed by a sound like something small fell on the floor. Almost like a nail.

I don't have a dual a/c system either. My repair guy heard the noise once and asked me that question. He obviously couldn't tell me what it was either.

And it happens at random. And sometimes it's longer or louder vs other times. Sometimes late at night, sometimes in the day. I want to guess it has to do with weather changing. I don't know though. Thank you!

Ps not sure if it's related, but I'm hearing some random drops/knocking sounds inside the walls occasionally. Sounds like water or dripping from something but I don't see the correlation with this squealing sound is asking about since that usually comes from one section of the home. And although the squealing is from a certain are, I still just can't seem to pinpoint the exact location or know what is is making the noise.

Told you! A true mystery! I'm puzzled. And it's been happening for over a year or two.I believe it's piping but i could be wrong!

Re: True Mystery - Loud screeching from walls
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

If you want to find out if any water supply pipes are leaking one way is to have all your water faucets off, icemaker turned off, etc. Then go to your water meter and look at it. There should be a little spinning indicator on the face of the meter, it spins when there is any water flowing thru the meter. If there is a leak then it should spin. It may move slowly if the leak is small, you may have to watch it for a minute or two. If you have a leak in a drain pipe this won't tell you about that, this comment is for the pressurized water supply pipes.

Here are a couple of examples:

Edited 4 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.