Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 600,000 posts related to plumbing

Welcome to Plbg.com (aka: PlumbingForum.com) we are the most popular plumbing information sharing, advice, DIY and educational forum on the Web. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality, and plumbing related questions. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, business, pricing, or legal questions, for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and no advertising. This site is free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 320' of line and low flow, whats the fix?
Author: 8Up (SC)

Hi everyone, I recently installed 320' of line from my well to my shop. The line goes up a 4' grade from the well for the first 160 feet and down about a 2' slope for the last 160 feet. I ran 1 1/4 for the first 100' then 1' for the next 100' then 1/2" the rest of the way ~ 120'. I am getting very low flow but it will build pressure if I put my thumb over the end. I have two questions. Was I fundamentally wrong putting in the different diameter lines? AND, if I replace the 1/2" with 1" will that solve the problem or do I need a stronger well pump? Thanks in advance.

Re: 320' of line and low flow, whats the fix?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

1/2" is too small for an underground service of that length, but you should still have plenty of pressure, just a low volume. Can you put a gauge on the end of the pipe to check the pressure ?

Author: hj (AZ)

He DOES have pressure when he puts his finger over the end of the pipe, just no volume which is what you would expect from 120' of 1/2", especially since we do not know what the material is.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

You might want to check the total head spec on your well pump, see what it is capable of. Then calculate the head you will have in that size pipe over that distance. There are also friction losses over that distance to take into account. Your local well company can help with this. If you are noodling around with it be sure to keep an eye on your pump motor, make sure it isn't overheating. That many feet of pipe full of water, some of it uphill, will have a certain surprising weight the pump has to push, luckily some of the run is downhill. Cost is a factor on any project like this but you probably should have used larger pipe for the entire length.

Edited 3 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

The 1/2" was your undoing. Another less costly option would be to install a pressure tank in your shop (WX 252, WX350) and allow it to store the pressure. A check valve would be a must.

Author: 8Up (SC)

I should have mentioned that the 1/2 inch is PCV sch40. looks like I will be replacing that with 1", not a big deal. I was hoping because of the 2'fall that it would be enough but obviously not. I will have to also go check the specs on the pump and report back because I doubt I will be able to make heads or tails of it. Thank you for your responses they are all very helpful.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Here are a couple of good articles to read, explains a lot of the basics in an easy to understand way:

[www.irrigationtutorials.com]

[www.irrigationtutorials.com]

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

The 2' fall will add about a pound to the PSI, which is not enough to overcome the loss due to the small pipe size.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2017 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.